Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Help choose an AR15

Old 01-27-2009, 10:22 AM
Spike

Default Help choose an AR15

Well, I asked about a deer rifle in the deer forum, but I'm also looking to get an AR15 over the summer when I work a bunch for coyotes. I was just wondering if anyone could provide me with some insight on what some decent manufacturers are for as close as you can get to 1000$ or under. One of the local gun shops had a Bushmaster for 1k, I wasn't sure the specific model or what condition it was in, a guy at the range was telling me about it. But yeah, basically what's some decent AR15's, or any coyote gun for that matter. All advice welcome. Thanks guys.
Old 01-27-2009, 12:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Help choose an AR15

THERE ARE SO MANY MAKERS THESE DAYS IT'S ALMOST A COIN FLIP. STANDARD ARS RUN ABOUT $95O THOUGH I HAVEN'T LOOKED SINCE THE ELECTION.REMINGTON BOUGHT BUSHMASTER THEIR R-15 HAVE GOTTEN SOME PRETTY GOOD REVEIWS SOMTHING TO LOOK AT. GOOD LUCK SHOPPING
Old 01-27-2009, 06:01 PM
Typical Buck

There is a guy that lives near me that makes AR15's which which are called OTT-15 he has the most basic model at 850 and the most expensive at 1050 I will include a link in my post if you choose to look at his rifles. Really good guy to do business with too. Alot better than any big box store.

http://www.ottawaordnance.com/ott15rifles.html
Old 01-27-2009, 09:23 PM
Spike

I got a couple questions, first, do you own one from him? and if so tell me what you like about it, second if I were to buy one it'd have to be shipped to an ffl dealer around me right? I appreciate the info!
Old 01-28-2009, 04:31 AM

you will have to ship to a ffl dealer. i looked at his site and is sold out of att his ar's. i guess the new pres. has everyone buying them up. you better get one before we cant have them.
Old 01-28-2009, 07:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

I won't recommend any brand, BUT what I would recommend is that you get one with at least a 20" barrel. Those short 16" barrels are way loud.
Old 01-28-2009, 08:21 AM
Fork Horn

This guy covers it all. http://forums.officer.com/showthread.php?t=81462
A litlle tip on what to avoid, Hesse Arms out of business due to shotty workmanship. DPMS is known for having tight chambers that will not feed all ammo.
I like Stag. But to each his own. None are really bad. I would suggest you get at least a 1-8 barrel so you can get into the 75 grain bullets if you ever desire. I have a 1-7". The recent push in heavy bullets has been phenonamal for the ar. But that's another thread.
Good luck
Old 01-28-2009, 02:07 PM

Heres what you do you buy the lower receiver and build your own. It is much cheaper in the long run I was able to do it for 600.
Old 01-28-2009, 08:35 PM
Spike

Haha no thanks, I'm not willing to risk that.
Old 01-29-2009, 11:55 AM
Typical Buck

There isn't any risk is building your own. If you buy a complete upper, all of the risk is already taken care of. Headspace, being the only thing.

You buy a stripped lower. Buy a lower kit that includes everything to assemble it. Pretty easy stuff. Then buy an upper that suits your need. Make sure that you get one that includes the bolt assembly. Snap the top to the bottom and away you go.

Quick Reply: Help choose an AR15

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.