Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

fox trapping

Old 12-10-2008, 08:35 PM
Spike

Default fox trapping

how do you trap a fox
Old 12-10-2008, 09:59 PM
mez
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: fox trapping

I like a dirt hole set for fox. Usually bait with Powder River Paste bait and use a 1.5 offset coilspring, 4 coiled. If you have a lot of coyotes around would probably use a #2.

Do you know how to construct a dirt hole set?
Old 12-13-2008, 08:37 PM

I don't know if he does, but I have no idea. I'm interested though. Elaborate if you don't mind on this "dirt hole set."
Old 12-13-2008, 10:05 PM
Fork Horn

Its whats called a hay setup:
1. Get you some bait. (i like sardines, or kill me a bird and use thwe meat or a rabbit and use the guts.)
2. Dig you a small hole just big enough to fit the trap.
3. Set the bait in the hole and the trap over the bait.
4. Use straw or hay and cover up the hole and a 2-3 ft. area around it.
5. Take some feathers or fur or sumtn and spread it across the straw or hay for looks.
6. And if you use a rabbit or a bird...cut of the head and tie it to a nearby tree pretty high for scent spread.
Old 12-14-2008, 06:11 AM

Here is a dirt hole set that I made. I caught a coyote here the next day after this picture was taken. Icaught a second one on the third day after making this set back. I finished the year with twelve coyotes on this one farm.This is what your set should look like after complete, it will catch foxes as well. I don't target foxes in my sets but I catch a few thoughout the year, due to the decline in the area I have released them the last few years.Everyone has an opinion on the size of hole and angel or slope of the hole. I can't see much differance, I've made them all differant ways and they will all catch. I feel like the most important part is the trap placement. I like to off set my traps to the right or left of the hole, either way will work. I use a #2, but when I was trapping foxes I used a #1.5 or #1.75 in a coil spring. Grey Foxes seem to approach the hole more from the side. I would use either a piece offish or chicken and put it in the bottom of the hole for greys. I have used old venison and cut it in small chunks, after it sets out a few days and gets to the "tainted" stage seems to work best for me. This will catch reds as well. I hope that this helps and good luck.

Old 12-14-2008, 09:31 PM

Many ways to trap a fox. You have to find the animals first. look for signs of them and then set up your fox sets. Any set will work for fox or any animal for that matter as long as you have the animals in that area. If you don't have the animal in your area you are targeting,your not going to catch it. Learn about foxes and their home ranges and start there.

Look for a natural spring that seeps out of the ground.In the winter when the cricks are frozen,these springs will be warm enough not to freeze. Here is where you look for what kinda animals you have from the tracks in the snow. All animals vist these springs when the cricks are frozen. Why,because all animals need water and predators hang out(well visits)these springs also looking for a meal also. Set your traps up here also and will catch about any animal that lives in that area. Even if you got snow on the ground an animal would prefer liquid over frozen.