Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

barkin a squirrel

Old 10-22-2008, 06:35 AM

Default barkin a squirrel

id really like to learn how to bark a squirrel if anybody is an old pro at that id like to know the basics of it ive never tried it myself but id like to. i almost dont think it could work that well but alot of old timers have told me that youre not a squirrel hunter until you bark a squirrel...
Old 10-22-2008, 09:22 AM
Spike

Default RE: barkin a squirrel

I have had some success at barking squirrels over my years of hunting them (about 7) I dont really like it i prefer to still hunt and just look for them but I must add that barking squirrels is an excelent way of locating squirrels on innactive days in the woods, u can buy a call or practice a lil and get kinda proficient at it by mouth I use this method all the time and its a cool camp joke too lol you are recreating the noise a squirrel uses to warn others about dangerthey usually relay the message and effectivly tell you where said squirrel is, some sayu can use asqueekerand smack a small branch on the groundto simulate a hawks wings after a kill and other squirrels will come running to cuss out the hawk idk if it works i personaly dont like making that much noise...
Old 10-22-2008, 09:53 AM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: Appalachian American

id really like to learn how to bark a squirrel if anybody is an old pro at that id like to know the basics of it ive never tried it myself but id like to. i almost dont think it could work that well but alot of old timers have told me that youre not a squirrel hunter until you bark a squirrel...
I have had some success at barking squirrels over my years of hunting them (about 7) I dont really like it i prefer to still hunt and just look for them but I must add that barking squirrels is an excelent way of locating squirrels on innactive days in the woods, u can buy a call or practice a lil and get kinda proficient at it by mouth I use this method all the time and its a cool camp joke too lol you are recreating the noise a squirrel uses to warn others about dangerthey usually relay the message and effectivly tell you where said squirrel is, some sayu can use asqueekerand smack a small branch on the groundto simulate a hawks wings after a kill and other squirrels will come running to cuss out the hawk idk if it works i personaly dont like making that much noise...
What Appalachian American means is shooting under the squirrel and, the blast of the bullet hitting the bark under the squirrel, killing the squirrel.

The old timers used black powder rifles in 32 caliber.
And a direct hit on a squirrel would mess up the meat so bad there wasn't enaugh left to cook.
So instead of aiming atthe squirrel, they would aim at the treebark under the squirrel.
And the blast of the bullet blowing up on the tree bark would kill the squirrel,
With out messing up the meat.

Thats what barking a squirrel means.

To bark a squirrel you would need a bigger caliber buller to do it.
A22 caliber wouldn't do it I don't think.
A 32 caliber black powder rifle or something simular to that.
Like a 357 magnum rifle, or 38 specal in a 357 magnum rifle.
Aim under the squirrel at the tree bark, so that the bullet blast would hit the squirrel directly.
The bullet percussion is what kills the squirrel.

I hope this helps.

Old 10-23-2008, 06:24 AM

hey i appreciate it jrbsr

the only thing higher than a 22 ive got is a 44 magnum and that might be a bit much and thats a whole lot more expensive to shoot too. might just stick to the 22 or the good ol birdshot

sly man thank you too i probably could have clarified what i meant but i didnt know any of the stuff youd said either so i got some stuff to try if the dadblame wind ever dies down again
Old 10-23-2008, 05:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: jrbsr

ORIGINAL: Appalachian American

What Appalachian American means is shooting under the squirrel and, the blast of the bullet hitting the bark under the squirrel, killing the squirrel.

The old timers used black powder rifles in 32 caliber.
And a direct hit on a squirrel would mess up the meat so bad there wasn't enaugh left to cook.
So instead of aiming atthe squirrel, they would aim at the treebark under the squirrel.
And the blast of the bullet blowing up on the tree bark would kill the squirrel,
With out messing up the meat.

Thats what barking a squirrel means.

To bark a squirrel you would need a bigger caliber buller to do it.
A22 caliber wouldn't do it I don't think.
A 32 caliber black powder rifle or something simular to that.
Like a 357 magnum rifle, or 38 specal in a 357 magnum rifle.
Aim under the squirrel at the tree bark, so that the bullet blast would hit the squirrel directly.
The bullet percussion is what kills the squirrel.

I hope this helps.

Exactly right.

I use a Marlin 1894 in 44 mag. with reduced loads. I also use an Winchester 1885 in 45-70 with gallery loads+. Barking squirrels is a lot of fun. I have done some barking with 22's, but it is difficult. However there are so many squirrles that you can pull it off. Tom.
Old 10-29-2008, 08:58 AM
Spike

ooh ok i must have been a litlle slow that day, i have only done thate once it was with a 50. muzzle loader