Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

I know it is cruel but...

Old 10-06-2008, 06:59 PM
Fork Horn

Default I know it is cruel but...

I'm in Archer county and just about all the fawns have been taken by yotes, I guess. We have a good number of deer and I have seen only one fawn and we have a $hi+ load of yotes. I've never tried calling them and dont reallly want to during deer season but I do want to try putting a big hook on a wire with a piece of meat and trying to catch some. I do know this is cruel and I'll probably get an ear full asking about it but does this really work?
Old 10-06-2008, 07:05 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: I know it is cruel but...

It Illegal here.....I would just try and call them, if not now, wait till later in the year when they are prime and you can sell them..
Old 10-06-2008, 07:59 PM
Typical Buck

I remember someone posting something similar to that a while back. It does seem like it would work, but laws and PETA hearing about it would get you into trouble. Might look into trapping.

I always wanted to go prairie dog fishing though.
Old 10-06-2008, 11:01 PM
Fork Horn

Just call 'em and shoot 'em. If you really want to do well, get a coyote or fawn decoy. Something visual helps quite a bit. If you don't want to shoot 'em with a rifle, a 12 gauge with HeviShot's DEAD COYOTE load is awesome for them.
Old 10-07-2008, 11:24 AM
Fork Horn

Trap em, call em, spot light em.....as long as it's legal. Pelts are on the rise.

They need managed and controlled for the benefit of game and non game species.
Old 10-07-2008, 01:19 PM
Typical Buck

not to mention the indescriminate catches....althought I have heard of turkey trotlines
Old 10-07-2008, 07:12 PM

Easy way to trap turkey. Stake a 8x8ft mesh with 1 and a half square mesh about 16 to 20 inches high. Throw corn all around it and under the mesh. When the turkeys put their heads up under the mesh they are trapped. Turkeys can't back up to lower their necks back down;. LMAO
Old 10-07-2008, 07:53 PM
Typical Buck

Just call the coyotes, if there is that many you will get dogs to come to the call, no problem. hunt'em, hunt'em hard, stack'em like logs.
Old 10-07-2008, 08:15 PM

i know it doesnt really go with this post, but its cool

another way to catch turkey is to get some fishing line tie a needle to it and poke holes in the corn to put on the string then take the needle off, and dump a pile of corn around the string, also tie the string to a rock or stump or something. after the turkey eats the corn on the string since they swallow their food, and cant throw it up it hurts them when they try to get away so theywill just set their so you can pick them up and just cut the string works
Old 10-12-2008, 08:12 PM
Typical Buck

I beleive that fishing for turkey or coyotes is propably illegal in most states,I love to hunt them,so I will do all my fishing at the lake,and take a call and a gun to the woods.