Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

22 mag

Old 09-26-2008, 06:23 PM

Default 22 mag

My son saved his money and bought a marlin staiinless steel heavy barrel 22 mag. After sighting in the simmons 3-9 on it, I got curious of its power.At 100yrds it busted through a treated 4x4. 3 1/2 inches of treated lumber with ease. I would not hesitate to whack a yote out to 150 yrds with a body shot with that gun. A reg 22LR will bust through a treated 2x4 and a half at 100 yrds. I don't think people gives these small guns much credit on their power.It impressed the he!! out of me for sure. In canada I was reading that they shoot black bears and wolves with the 22 magnum when they are caught in their traps. Quite impressive for a gun that alot of people put down as a bad yote gun beyound 75yrds.
Old 09-29-2008, 09:12 PM
Super Moderator

Default RE: 22 mag

placement is key. It's a good round, my cousin shot his first deer with it.
Old 09-30-2008, 05:40 PM
Fork Horn

22mag is a little bit different than a 22lr. which i think most people put down as a yote gun. if you are confident to 150 that is good. i dont think i personally would take a shot past 100 with it at a yote.
Old 09-30-2008, 09:47 PM
Typical Buck

I have never shot one with the 22mag. but I did get lucky and kill two with my 5mm remington magnum,my daughter and I were ground hog hunting around the farm when we spotted two adults and four pups in the edge of a hay field,I held just above on of the big ones backs and knocked it stiff legged I thought I hit its spine but it actually hit the shoulder and killed it instantly,I got on one of the pups and sent it into the death spin and was giving the rifle to my 10year old so she could get a crack at them,they were just walking around wondering what happened to mom, and she couldn't keep them in the crosshairs and they finally took off.This happened at 151yards and I wouldn't have ever thought that a shoulder shot would drop a 30lb dog like that,I feel that I got lucky just to see that many at once and take two.The 22magnum is a lot like the 5mm's ballistically,but I would feel under gunned.I would have given anything to have had my 223 then,there could of been a pile of coyotes dead,but they could have all fled after the first shot due to the sound of the louder gun.I would suggest to keep it as close as possible and hope you have a good tracking dog,every coyote that I have shot that didnt fall in sight was never seen again,these critters are hard to track without snow or dogs and with the 22mag there probably wont be much of an exit wound which means not much blood,the 5mm didnt go all the way through and not a drop of blood from the entrance.The pup which I did see him in the brier's had some blood on him but not much.so good luck and hit them good and go for the second or third shot if you can on the spinners.