Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Small Game, Predator and Trapping
 Strange thought.  Possible experiment. >

Strange thought. Possible experiment.

Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Strange thought. Possible experiment.

Old 08-17-2008, 09:21 PM
Typical Buck

Default Strange thought. Possible experiment.

When calling coyotes they expect there to be a meal when they show up. Why not provide them with one?

Could a person sneak an electronically controlledcaller in that could be watched from a distance and call in a coyote and give that yote a meal? Might bring in other yotes as well. Maybe do it for two weekends in a row. Then when it is time to make the kill, be sittting there. A lot like bait, but with the caller. Then the coyote(s) would get used to the "dinner time bell" and come running. Do you think they would be dumb enough to show up again and again to the same call if they found food there each time?

What I am thinking about is a caller that can be used over 500+ yards away. The meal would be a dead jack rabbbit or other road kill.

Caller would be the hard part. But with a 2-way radio, a relay, and a sound maker of choice, it shouldn't be too hard to come up with something.

This thought just popped up, so give a little bit and I bet that I could come up with something.

Thoughts anyways?
Old 08-17-2008, 11:13 PM

Default RE: Strange thought. Possible experiment.

I was at a hunting store talking to an employee about calls and stuff. He told me, what he does. And by no means am i supporting this, personally, i woudnt do it and think its to mean. But, he told me he traps a rabbit, and breaks its legs. Then he just goes to his spot and, puts the rabbit where he wants since it cant move, and the rabbit will scream and attract yotes. Personally, I woudnt do it.

edit: I just re-read your post and noticed my previous response wasnt really on topic. But what your saying, I think you have a good idea. They just might be a little cautious if the call is still going and they notice its dead. But other then that, I think that could work well. I think your on to something!
Old 08-18-2008, 07:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

IMO, you're making it harder than it has too be! More work than necassary to kill coyotes. Just think about how many stands you make in a year, from one weekend to the next, how many rabbits you'd need, and the wasted time "baiting" when you can be out calling and "killing"

There's no doubt that coyotes can become habituated to a bait pile, BUT I don't think trying to mix baiting with calling is going to allow you to kill any more coyotes than you already do.

reckling, I'd bet that nearly every state has a "law" against doing what the employee at that hunting store suggested. That is exactly why PETA is out to stop what we love to do. Needless animal suffering!!!!
Old 08-18-2008, 08:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Don't see no need to bait if there already comming to a call. Sounds like a little over kill no pun intended. As for the that employee thats just plain wrong [:@]!!! I would drop a dime on him in a hart beat
Old 08-18-2008, 08:34 AM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: #40Fan

When calling coyotes they expect there to be a meal when they show up. Why not provide them with one?

Could a person sneak an electronically controlledcaller in that could be watched from a distance and call in a coyote and give that yote a meal? Might bring in other yotes as well. Maybe do it for two weekends in a row. Then when it is time to make the kill, be sittting there. A lot like bait, but with the caller. Then the coyote(s) would get used to the "dinner time bell" and come running. Do you think they would be dumb enough to show up again and again to the same call if they found food there each time?

What I am thinking about is a caller that can be used over 500+ yards away. The meal would be a dead jack rabbbit or other road kill.

Caller would be the hard part. But with a 2-way radio, a relay, and a sound maker of choice, it shouldn't be too hard to come up with something.

This thought just popped up, so give a little bit and I bet that I could come up with something.

Thoughts anyways?
I thought about going to a local butcher.
And getting some chicken blood in a empty milk jug,
and pouring it on the ground where I want to shoot them.

Then there would be food scent to go to.
And some dog urin from when the femal dog is in heat.
That would probbly bring them in real good.
Kinda like deer pee.

I kinda like your idea to.
Old 08-18-2008, 10:49 AM
Fork Horn

In no way would I attempt to call coyotes in hopes of making it easier to call them again. I believe that's an oxymoron.

IMO: Anyonepreparing bait, scent attractants or live decoys on stand after stand is wasting valuable time that could be used to kill coyotes. Taking advantage of an opportunity such as a nearby deer carcass or a flock of feeding turkeys is one thing- but to some of these gimmics and tactics are just too complicated for their minimal returns.
Old 08-18-2008, 06:51 PM
Typical Buck

I do think that it is a waste of time in areas where you know the coyote will come into. But other areas where you know that they are there, but won't come to the call when called, it might help. Call for a while, you get the yotes attention, but he won't show. Leave..maybe that night they show up and find a meal. They might be tempted to show up next time there is a call.

I see this like a deer feeder. Deer will show up to the food and keep coming back as long as there is food. I have left carcasses before to only find that nothing has been touched. Two or three hundred yards away are coyote tracks, but nothing told them to go to the meal.

Either way, just a thought. Might just experiment with it on a slow day.

I would in no way harm an animal to use it as bait. But finding a dead one on the road would be fair.

Old 08-18-2008, 08:20 PM
Typical Buck

Well 40fan, it's a good thing to think about,,, killing more yotes. Instead of using bait and calling together, try just baiting. I've pulled dead calves out of this one dairy farmers barn in Illinois, and put them on a tree line bout 200yrds. back of his barn. I've done it twice in feb. & march, I got three dogs that way, but never had any luck calling at the same time. I sorta camped out in a line of rolled bails. They do tend to hit bait at night, but if it's cold you can getem to hit it in the daylight. If there is any coyote police out there,,, it is legal to bait coyotes in Illinois.
Old 08-18-2008, 09:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

That's the thing with baiting, there has to be enough bait and a consistant source of bait to keep them coming back. You never know when they'll find it, and you never know when they'll come back to it. One rabbit won't get them in the habit of coming back to one spot.
I've seen dead cows that took a week for coyotes to find, and have seen cows that they found in one day. I think you're trying to give the coyote more smarts than they really have. I don't beleive that if you take a caller out and call, and they don't show up while you're there, and so you leave a rabbit for them, that they'll figure out that "hey, next time I hear that call, I need to hurry to the spot, because...by golly, there really was a rabbit dying there." Instead, I believe that the coyote will hear your call, and at a later time, and possibly a later date, will happen upon the dead rabbit and say "hey, it's my lucky day, I just found a rabbit, some human must've dropped it here because I smell human on it, but, at this point I don't care, it's mine now."
I guess, if you've got the time, go for it. BUT, say you leave a rabbit and next time you go calling there and a coyote comes, you won't have proven anything, because I've gone to the same spot from one week to the next, not called anything the first time, or two, and then call coyotes in at a future time. I never left a rabbit, but yet by going back to the same spot, where I know there are coyotes, I eventually play the right tune and they are in the right mood,and call them in.
Old 08-19-2008, 01:22 PM
Fork Horn

Coyotes cannot rationalize or structure logic.
Coyotes do not have depth perception with sight or sound.
Coyotes lick their own ass.

Everything I needed to know about coyotes- I learned in Kindergarten. If coyotes were as smart as most hunters think they are- I'd be a friggin' genious.

Quick Reply: Strange thought. Possible experiment.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.