Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Eastern coyotes???

Old 08-06-2008, 03:59 PM
Typical Buck

Default Eastern coyotes???

anyone ever heard of this term? i read a article in field-stream awhile back about coyotes and wolves breeding in canada and filtering down thru the north eastern states. I do most of my hunting in south-eastern ohio and i had a coyote trot pass me 2 years ago bow hunting and it had to be atleast 40-45 pounds. anyone read or have any knowledge of this? any kills or pics?
Old 08-06-2008, 08:30 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Eastern coyotes???

that term refers to all of the coyotes in this half of the U.S. and you could have very well saw one that weighed that.My biggest to date was a 43lb.female that I killed in january one year behind my house,she lived around town and had probably been eating very well on pets and pet food.I have killed several in the 38-39 lb range that seems to be the average weight for the easterns here in ky.you being farther north will make them tend to be a little heavier just like deer and every other animal,mother nature's way of insulation is slightly shorter legs and more body mass.
Old 08-25-2008, 12:11 PM
Spike

I live and hunt in western PA. This is one we have been getting on the camera. Seen him once last year. Looking forward to this year. I dont know what this one would go. Probably someone else may have a guess.....

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg320/jk6140/Midlandcamera051.jpg

http://i251.photobucket.com/albums/gg320/jk6140/Midlandcamera055.jpg

Old 08-25-2008, 06:28 PM
Typical Buck

Looks like it's in the 40lb. class. The coyots we have around here, when they get to bethree or four years old the front half is realy filled out and noticalbly bigger than western dogs. They don't get much longer ,like you might think
Old 08-30-2008, 08:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

I shot one a while back in WV that was 52lb. on adeer scale. It was an odd looker that had dark legs...(no, it didn't have a collar on)

The others I've plugged have been in the 30-35 pound range, but it seems that someone around here always comes up with a whopper now and again.

On the other hand...I had a buddy call in and shoot one that barely went 10 pounds.
Old 08-31-2008, 12:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

I shot this one yesterday morning here in Michigan on our first set of the morning, it wieghed in at 30 lbs but my brother missed one last weekend that makes this look like a pup!!! Walt
Old 09-08-2008, 08:59 AM

My RuffyDog call came with a vid showing how to use it. The guy called in a huge eastern yote that almost looked likea wolf from certain distance. Alot bigger than the yotes we have over here in Oregon...
Old 09-19-2008, 07:17 PM

we got some big ones up here in the boonies of NY as well. one last year was a bit over 50lbs.
Old 09-20-2008, 07:18 AM
Boone & Crockett

The Eastern Coyote is conciderd as a hybred cross of the Coyote and Timber Wolf and is one heck of a killing machine. Unlike the wolf a coyote will keep killing and may or may not have it's kill eaten before killing again. I used to have a pic on here of 1 a friend of mine caught in a trap. It was 78 lbs. and was believed to be about 80 percent wolf. this one we believe was a leader of a pac that wiped out a large group of deer the year before. They ran the deer out on the ice after rushing in on a yarding area.
Old 09-20-2008, 08:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Ditto what Phil from Maine said. The eastern coyote is not a "true" coyote like the western- it is a cross between the western coyote and a timber wolf. Eastern coyotes are generally much bigger than the western counterparts. They are not native to the eastern usa - they migrated and cross-bred with wolves in the last 80 - 100 years if my memory serves me correctly.

Quick Reply: Eastern coyotes???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.