Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Good day of calling Saturday(photos)

Old 01-20-2002, 06:54 PM

Default Good day of calling Saturday(photos)

I finally got to go out calling again yesterday, its been quite warm and windy the last little while. On Saturday it was a perfect day. Light breeze cool temps with a real light snow. On the first stand about 10 minutes in a lone female appeared about 120 yards in front of me. when she turned broadside I dropped her. This is her photo.

On the next stand I spooked one walking into the spot I wanted to call. I called anyways but had nothing come in. I did see another vehicle in the pasture as I was leaving. I decided to head further east and stay away from him. The next stand also produced nothing. On my third stand I set up just a half a mile north of our farm. As I was calling I was watching 3 whitetail bucks and they were staring into some brush. I looked where they were looking and saw a coyote coming towars me. It eventually came over a rise 23 yards in front of me and I dropped it in its tracks. When I got up to it and went to pick it up I notice that its one back leg was pulled up against its body and was locked in that position. It must have had a broken leg at one time and this is the way it healed. It was a really big female and she was in really good shape. Her teeth were really worn and yellow. You could tell that the injury was quite old because the injured foot had really long claws and the hair between the pads on its foot was really long. I took a couple of photos of the injured foot and the normal foot to show you.

Here is the big female with the injured leg. You can see how it is pulled up against her body.

Here is a photo of her normal hind foot and one of the injured foot.

On my next stand I went to my favorite spot to call. It overlooks some alkali lakes. I began to call and about 5 minutes in I see a lone coyote coming across the lake. It gets about half way across the larger lake and I heard some shooting off to the west of me. The shots were a ways away but I was thinking they were going to spook the coyote. It continued to come. There were a couple of more shots and this time they sounded closer, but the coyote kept coming. I was hoping that it would hurry up so that whoever was shooting wouldn't work their way to close. Finally it crossed the lakes and came into the bush in front of me and I dropped it at about 100 yards. I used the tripod and the remote to take a photo of me holding this one as there was no fence posts near by. You can see the lakes the coyote came across in the background of the photo.

Here is the photo of the third coyote.

On the next stand I decided to go to a new area as the wind had shifted to a different direction. I set up on the edge of some farmland and was calling into some coulees. A lone male came in and I dropped it at about 80 yards.

Here is the photo of the fourth coyote for the day.

I made acouple of more stands with no results before I had to get back home. Over all it was a pretty successful day.

Cam's Hunting Page

Edited by - Saskman on 01/20/2002 19:55:32
Old 01-20-2002, 07:12 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Good day of calling Saturday(photos)

i would say you did real well for beinbg out by your self,congrats.that injured leg is intetresting how it healed like that.
Old 01-20-2002, 07:55 PM
Fork Horn

Congrats on the great day! Looks like a couple pretty big dogs.
What are you shooting?
-Brian
Old 01-20-2002, 08:42 PM

ostdc

I was shooting a Brno .222rem. I also have a .22-250 but really enjoy shooting the .222. If its not within range of it, it is too far for me to shoot anyways.

Cam's Hunting Page
Old 01-21-2002, 01:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Dang Sask. Good shootin. Those are some nice yotes. They all got really good winter coats on em. Congrats on the hunt. Thanks for the pics.
Old 01-21-2002, 05:45 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 01-21-2002, 11:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sweet!!! What were you useing in calling? Electronic or hand held?
Old 01-21-2002, 04:03 PM

Blacklab

I was using a hand call made by sceery(jackrabbit). I do sometimes use an electronic call but like to use the hand calls every once in a while to mix the sounds up a bit.
Cam's Hunting Page
Old 01-21-2002, 04:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

that was a pretty good day.That coyote with the broken leg reminds of one that I got last winter that had only three legs, and one of them was broken, and the hair on the broken leg was long like that one you got.Now, three legs and one that is broke, now there is one tough customer. I've also called in a coyote that had chewed through a cable snare and the snare had been around its neck long enough to be grown into the hide.Coyotes are tough, that's for sure.Hey, congrats on a great day of calling.
Old 01-21-2002, 05:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds like a great hunt .Congrats

Quick Reply: Good day of calling Saturday(photos)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.