Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Skunk problem

Old 05-20-2008, 09:05 AM
Fork Horn

Default Skunk problem

i have this skunk that keeps coming around my house and sprayin, its gettin really annoying because it stinks all the time. Im afraid to shoot it because if i do it will spray everywhere. Anybody have any suggestion on what i should do.
Old 05-20-2008, 09:16 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Skunk problem

Since it already stinks all the time, I'd shoot it and deal with the clean up once. I get'em in the yard digging up Japanese Beetle grubs. I catch them in the spotlight and take a headshot with 60gr Aguila 22LR. Usually not a big deal.
Old 05-20-2008, 09:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Set out a live trap with some cat food. Or just shoot it and drag it off if you can stomach the smell for a few minutes
Old 05-20-2008, 10:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

I was always told by my grandfather (so granted he could have just been pullin' my leg for fun) if you headshot them that they would not spray. I did head shoot one as a kid and it did not spray-however, I cannot say for certain that every time you head shoot one it will not spray, but in that one instance it did not.
Old 05-20-2008, 01:18 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: CZ2506

Since it already stinks all the time, I'd shoot it and deal with the clean up once. I get'em in the yard digging up Japanese Beetle grubs. I catch them in the spotlight and take a headshot with 60gr Aguila 22LR. Usually not a big deal.
i have seen those bullets before, but could not find the link, do you have a link to there site? those are some bullets i need.
Old 05-20-2008, 02:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Skunks spray 90% of the time after being shot. The best place to shoot them is the lungs, if you get a clean double lung shot, all the air expels outta 'em, then they can't spray.
Old 05-20-2008, 05:38 PM

Agree with rammer. In my business I started by shooting them in the head, but they always sprayed, lung shots worked better. I have found though that if you trap them in a covered trap, then cover the door so they cant see you and transport the cage gently to a large trash can full of water, you can drown them without any problems. Just be sure to drop the cage in the water suddenly so they don't have a chance to take a breath.
Old 05-21-2008, 05:41 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Brod_Man

ORIGINAL: CZ2506

i have seen those bullets before, but could not find the link, do you have a link to there site? those are some bullets i need.
http://www.rrarms.com/catalog.php?prod=A112

Aguila's site is down right now (www.aguilaammo.com) . rrarms is a dealer.
Old 05-21-2008, 06:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: varmint stalker

Agree with rammer. In my business I started by shooting them in the head, but they always sprayed, lung shots worked better. I have found though that if you trap them in a covered trap, then cover the door so they cant see you and transport the cage gently to a large trash can full of water, you can drown them without any problems. Just be sure to drop the cage in the water suddenly so they don't have a chance to take a breath.
So you drowned them? That a pretty crappy way to die. Why not just take them to the middle of a field a shoot them?
Old 05-21-2008, 01:12 PM

Well thereare afew reasons.

First, I don't own any fields, and finding public land these days where you can go an discharge a firearm into wildlife is rather difficult. I have always been one to follow the law, particularly because businesses that don't follow the law don't last.

Also, up until last year, drowning was an accepted method of euthanasia by the avma. Just read about the chang, so I don't recommend doing tha anymore. Oddly enough, trappers are still allowed to use drown sets to capture beaver and other aquatic mammals. Either way, drowning was easier, cheaper, and more efficient when disposing of multiple animals.

When talking about animals, you have to remember not to apply human emotions and concepts to animals. For example, part of what makes drowning so horrible to humans is the fear and the axiety of it all, we dramatize it, animals don't do this. In addition, we have amuch larger lung capacity than that of a skunk. Where it may take up to3 minutes for a humanto pass out when drowning, it will take a skunk about 10-20 seconds from what I've seen.

With the scientific stuff out of the way, I am glad they changed their policy to an extent. I never was a big fan of that practice.

Quick Reply: Skunk problem

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.