Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

All purpose predator bait

Old 05-14-2008, 07:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default All purpose predator bait

I'm trying to figure out how many coyotes we have,and if we have any black bear where we hunt. I am trying to find a good way to bait them, so I can see them on our trail cameras.

Can anyone suggest a good type of bait to use? I've thought about throwing meat in a burlap type bag, so it would take them a while to get to it. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

Old 05-15-2008, 08:34 PM

Default RE: All purpose predator bait

I know baiting bear with meat or meat by-products is illegal in a lot of states. I also don't know how well bear would come to meat, they usually have a sweet tooth. I think the best bet would be establishing two bait sites, one for the bear with bakery products and one with meet for the coyotes with cameras over each. For the coyotes, try to keep human scent to an absolute minimum.
Old 05-18-2008, 06:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Booney160

I know baiting bear with meat or meat by-products is illegal in a lot of states. I also don't know how well bear would come to meat, they usually have a sweet tooth. I think the best bet would be establishing two bait sites, one for the bear with bakery products and one with meet for the coyotes with cameras over each. For the coyotes, try to keep human scent to an absolute minimum.
I will set up two baits. Thanks.
Old 06-02-2008, 11:57 AM
Typical Buck

Try and get fryer grease from your local deli, fast food place, or bakery. Soak logs or stumps and some old bread or dog food with about 20 gallons of the stuff. You can also build a small fire, get the coals going, carefully add the grease, then cover with green grass or vegetation to creat lots of smoke and continue to add grease to get the smell to disperse. If anything hungry is around it will come in.