Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Small Game, Predator and Trapping
 Shot gun load and set up for coyotes? >

Shot gun load and set up for coyotes?

Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Shot gun load and set up for coyotes?

Old 04-26-2008, 02:56 PM
Spike

Default Shot gun load and set up for coyotes?

My Dad owns 70acres of hunting land and we have been hunting it for about 11 years for deer ,turkey, grouse stuff like that. Well we have started to notice alot of turkeys getting eaten in the past year and our trail cams are full of coyotes pictures. I was up turkey hunting last weekend and this weekend and both times i had coyotes comeing in when i was turkey calling. I even poped one of the little buggers last weekend with my turkey gun that was loaded with a 3 1/2" 2oz 4shot rem nitro turkey load witha super full remington turkey choke at about 40 yards. Our land is pretty much all wooded except for a long field that we call the finger that splits the land so about 50acres on one side and about 20 on that other with a small back field. So i do not think a small rifle would be the best gun for the job. What Loads, choke, and anything else i need to know on how to hunt these coyotes would be very helpful.
Old 04-26-2008, 03:48 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Shot gun load and set up for coyotes?

Hey ranger, sounds like you need to do what alot of people need to do, kill some coyotes. If you go into the woods, I would call to the coyotes with the turkey call, or even a rabbit. You should have two people to be more effective, if your in the thick go with the 12 gage, if on the edge one guy with a varmit rifle would be good. In the thick stuff, don"t even sit down. Get into some cover that you can see alot of area,and go for it. Two men can do wonders for a turkey population in any area with a little common scense and a weapon. Set up far enough away from each other that you can see where he can"t and vis versa, but can see each other for safty, this is the time of year when you can make a difference for the game, nesting and fawning just around the corner.
Old 04-26-2008, 03:51 PM
Typical Buck

I think the best load and choke combo is any turkey choke and 3.5 inch dead coyote T shot heavey shot. They will reach out there with the best of them.
Old 04-26-2008, 05:41 PM
Spike

I do not have a Varmit rifle right now. the only guns i own are 20ga 870 ,12ga 870 super mag, 7400 30-06 and a 597 22lr. When it is gun deer season it is only a shot gun zone but that wouldn't matter for coyote you can use pretty much anything ya want. I might try some of that dead coyote shot in the future but right now i am on Lay off from my job becasue the construction around here is so slow and money is tight with a 2year old son. But i was thinking about trying some buck shot maybe 4 or 00 also whats the tightest choke you can shoot buck shot from? And whats the tights you can shot that dead coyote from?
Old 04-27-2008, 05:42 PM

well that 22lr will work to shot those little bastards in the head and they arent goin to go any where even the neck shot works.and the two person set up works great if you put the shooter out front and have the caller behind him 20 or 30 meters. well good luck and keep us posted
Old 04-30-2008, 03:06 PM

Find Your Optimal Position
Pay attention to the direction of the wind at all times. The coyote’s sense of smell is highly developed, and shouldn’t be ignored. When setting up, be sure you place yourself either with the wind coming at you or with a crosswind. Coyotes are known for circling downwind to gain the scent advantage, thus the perfect set-up would have to be with a crosswind and enough open area downwind to observe any coyotes that might be circling. It is also imperative that you call with the sun facing at your back. This will make it more difficult for the coyote to see you. Another significant aspect of setting up is positioning yourself in the shade. By doing so, it will help hide your position and make it more tricky for the coyote to spot you.

Blend In
It is important to blend into your surroundings by matching your camouflage clothing to the terrain you hunt upon. It is also decisive to cover all exposed skin areas, and this includes your face as human skin is extremely reflective and coyotes will notice this. Another important element of camouflaging is to try and limit movement when you’re on stand. Coyotes have dedicated eyesight and will notice even the slightest movement you make. If you truly must move, do it slowly and calculatingly.

Where is the coyote going to come from?
Coyotes like a quiet approach. Using the trails is easiest and makes the least noise. Busting through the brush or tall grass makes the most noise. Look for them to come in on a trail or an old road. They will most often use the line of least resistance.

Effectively Using A Hunting Partner
Place your hunting buddy to the left or the right, where he can observe behind you (downwind). If you stand near the bottom of a valley, you can make the calling from up one side and your spouse can sit on the opposite side where he can notice everything above you. The idea is to select a place where your buddy can watch the coyotes approaching you, even if you cannot see them. You can do an extremely good job alone, but some coyotes will circle and sneak up on you from behind and eventually leave without you having any idea that they were there.

Different Shots Require Different Guns
When calling in brush or dense cover, carry a shotgun instead of a rifle as the action is liable to be right in your lap. Every time you call in a region with patches of open ground interspersed with heavy cover you should carry both a shotgun for close-up shooting and a scoped rifle for distant shots.

Trajectory
Accurateness and flat trajectory are essential elements in a resourceful coyote rifle. Making use of your preferred big game rifle for predator hunting is not a bad idea and you can get better at shooting. Shooting at standing or moving predators under harsh conditions will make hitting a deer, elk or other big size game animal easier when the fall season is gone.

Effective Coyote Tracking
When you’re out in the field, look for scat or coyote tracks that will show coyote presence in the area. In addition, take notes on where you see coyotes over and over, as those will be the areas that you want to target your calling upon. Landowners are excellent resources of hints on where they see coyotes on their lands and where they think would be fine places to call. Look for spots that have high concentration of the coyote’s favorite prey, like rabbits, deer, prairie dogs, and mice. If you search for these types of areas, you’re bound to find coyotes.

And lastly, the DNRhas put together a brochure on how to minimize livestock losses to predators that you might also find useful! http://www.michigan.gov/documents/Brochure_Minimize_Livestock_Losses_165509_7.pdf

I hope this helps!

-----------------------------------------------
Hunting1979

Old 05-05-2008, 04:58 PM
Typical Buck

guys around here who run coyotes with hounds use #4 buck

Old 05-08-2008, 10:28 AM
Spike

I'm going up to our land this weekend for my secound turkey season but i am going to keep my eyes open for those sob's.
Old 05-08-2008, 03:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

00 buck and a Imp cylinder choke and you are good from upclose to 50, 60 yards
Old 05-27-2008, 05:21 PM
Fork Horn

coyote undertaker choke and winchester supreme 3" #4 buck 0-60yards no prob