Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

best .22 magnum load for coyotes?

Old 03-26-2008, 04:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: best .22 magnum load for coyotes?

ORIGINAL: DANTHEHUNTER

No the .17hmr is not better then the 22wmr.Why do these questions keep coming up?
um...that is your own opinion...smallest thing you can hunt, rats/mice,small birds, biggest thing, yotes, beavers, coon
Old 03-27-2008, 04:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Whatever!!
Old 03-27-2008, 06:57 AM

I don't know why this topic got so out of hand.

But after getting the Grice Gun Shop Anniversary paper in the mail the other day. I would have to say that a .22 Magnum is no longer an economical way of shooting anymore.

When I bought my first .22 Magnum, some 10 years ago. The ammo was $5.50 a box of 50

When I looked at the paper yesterday, their sale price was $12.99 per 50

That is an increase in price of over 100 % in the last 10 years.

It was just $7.99 two years ago.

I'm not the expert Coyote hunter here that others claim to be. But I do have a friend that lives next to a reclaimed coal strip mining operation and there is a field beside his house where you can shoot 700 yards with no problems.

This man shot in the Pennsylvania 30 caliber league and was a member of the NRA for 50 years. A retired WW II vet, and head instructor at one time at a local gun club.

He told me that he can shoot further with the .17 HRM, but it's effective range is almost 1/2 that of the .22 Magnum - because the bullet is so small that it just goes right through them - without doing any damage and when you get too far out - it doesn't even seem to phase them.

I have shot animals at 300 yards with one of my Marlin - .22 Magnums. I know that the .17 HRM will shoot 300 yards and does a job on milk jug full of water. But it doesn't do much to a thin-skinned animal like a coyote that is pretty tough to kill.

Me personally, as long as you kill them or injure them so they don't come back, what do I care what you use to do it with. Any gun will kill anything at the right range.

I also believe that the US government should put a $25 bounty on all Coyote's.

My thought being that maybe we could hunt these buggers into extinction - if enough people were involved.

Anything less than $25 - would be an insult.

As far as hunting them for recreation - it isn't worth my time.
Old 03-27-2008, 08:41 AM
Typical Buck

Well thats the thing, if we all felt the same way about everything, we would all be standing in the same long line all the time.
I think the 17 hmr. will kill coyotes if everthing is pefect. If you dont put a good shot on them then we all know what will happen.
Hunting them to ext? I think that would be a tall order I know thats what happened to the wolf,,almost, and the buff. That would be like getting rid of all the roaches in the world. I hope it never happens, I live for shootin dogs.
Old 03-27-2008, 05:56 PM
bhw
Nontypical Buck

mossbergman,

To answer your original question...

I have in the field experience with a few .22 mag loads. When selecting a load for the .22 mag for fox and coyotes, I am an advocate for a 40 grain hollow point bullet. Last season, I used the Rem 32 gr with the ballistic tip and lost a few predators. The 40 gr HP drops them better (I could not find them heavier in my area, or I would have tried them). Shot placement is still critical and distance should be under 100 yds for best results, although my record is 210 yds on a 45 pound coyote.Pic below...

The rifle is the CZ
Old 03-27-2008, 06:08 PM
Typical Buck

Who said the 17 hmr was better than a .22 mag? was"nt me. I just said it had to be a pefect set up.Oh yeah bullet weight does mean alot, but bullet placement is much more important than anything. Thats just mho, and I"ve killed more than my share of coyotes with a 204, shotgun, and one with a bow. I"d rather hit a dog in the shoulder with a small bullet , than in the ham with a heavy bullet.
Old 03-27-2008, 06:18 PM
Typical Buck

nice shot bhw just proves my point, if you want to shoot a dog with a 22mag just stay within the limits of you gun and ability.In the upper mid west, cornfeild county, we get dogs that hang up out 250 or 300 yards out. the mags just don"t cut it. Thats why I went with the 204. It reaches out that extra yardage to close the deal.
Old 03-27-2008, 07:40 PM

yeah ithink a .22 mag will do fine
i probaly getttin the savage model 93f or marlin model 925m
Old 03-28-2008, 07:23 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: DANTHEHUNTER

No the .17hmr is not better then the 22wmr.Why do these questions keep coming up?
because not everyone knows everything like you. Maybe they don't know the answer, and didn't try or didnt have luck with a search. Give him a break. If it bothers you move on to another thread.
Old 03-29-2008, 12:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thats to bad its fun being on top!

Quick Reply: best .22 magnum load for coyotes?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.