Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

22Mag & squirrels What Ammo?

Old 02-13-2003, 09:14 AM

Default 22Mag & squirrels What Ammo?

What ammo would you folks use for squirrels with the 22Mag? I just bought my first 22 and got the mag for the extra range but I' m really not sure what ammo to use. Thanks in advance for the help.
Old 02-13-2003, 10:01 AM

Default RE: 22Mag & squirrels What Ammo?

Outof a 22 mag I' d use solid points to cut down on meat damage, or stick to head shots with hollow points.
Old 02-13-2003, 05:50 PM

Winchester super X 40gr jhp will just about remove a squirrel' s head completly. Just stick to head shots, and carry a plastic bag in your game bag to put the critters in or you' ll have a big mess in coat.
Old 02-13-2003, 06:34 PM
Fork Horn

If you are looking to maximize your range, Remington makes a 33 grain V-Max bullet that shoots flatter. However, those little bullets do not expand very much. Since they do not expand much, there is not much room for error. If you are a little bit off on a head shot, they will pretty much just punch a hole and may not get the vitals.
Old 02-13-2003, 06:48 PM

Head shots will be ok with a 22 mag, but a 22lr is much cheaper and will cut down on the damage to the meat. 22 mag is good though. Get a good scope and go for the eyeballs. Good luck with it.
Old 02-14-2003, 04:37 PM
Typical Buck

I use my .22 WMR to blow up pesky gophers up here in the prairies. Compared to my .22 LR this has 3 times the killing power. I use Speer TNT 40 gr. but let me tell you if you are looking to eat the critter...don' t use these. They do a job and a half, even with a head shot. I tried every bullet out there and they are all comparable, I got good results from the Federal Prem. & Rem. v-max. The rest were all ok but if you are looking to eat your kill then go for a solid point. They still kill but don' t really damage any meat. So if it' s pest control, go for the TNT' s...if not any solid will do. JDinAB
Old 02-17-2003, 01:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sling,
Those remington' s expand beyound belief. That is thier intent, the little plastic ballistic tip really opens up. If you don' t shoot them in the head you will blow out the entire opposite side of the squirrel.
Old 02-17-2003, 04:28 PM
Fork Horn

Wimp - I have used the .22 V-Max bullet a few times on squirrels and they have made only a smaller hole. When I say " smaller hole" I mean it is smaller than what you would get with a standard 40-grain hollow point. I have only tried head shots so far, so maybe they expand more on a body shot. That is a possibility. Have you seen that explosiveness consistantly on body shots or just when they hit something solid? Maybe the head does not offer enough resistance to for the bullet to fully perform, and I just have not seen it yet.

The V-Max bullet may be more explosive at higher velocities also, but I have not seen it in the .22 magnum on head shots in squirels.
Old 02-18-2003, 01:10 AM

Deer T, Just remember use only .22 mag ammo in a .22 mag rifle, My .22 mag likes the CCI Maxi mag solids works wonerfull for treerats.
Old 02-21-2003, 02:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sling,
I can only compare the vmax holes to 22 lr holes, I' ve never shot a squirrel with regular 22 mag hp' s. From what I' ve noticed hitting a squirrel thru the body will completely blow out the other side, it practically guts it for ya. I' ve been able to aim and hit them there without ruining meat. However, if I pull a little and hit the front shoulders they will be ruined and the exit hole varies. I' ve had the bullet fragment and only some pieces of it exited, sometimes it blows up inside. Most of the groundhogs I' ve shot with these also had no exits, they blow up inside. Except one that I hit back, it put a large hole in the groundhog.

Quick Reply: 22Mag & squirrels What Ammo?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.