Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Yots and spotlights???

Old 02-27-2008, 10:04 AM

Default Yots and spotlights???

I know night is a good time to hunt but is it a bad idea to spotlight. Are they afraid of the light scaning the field.
Old 02-27-2008, 01:16 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Yots and spotlights???

Yotes are very afraid of white light.. Get a red lense or don't bother going out.. Or go out in moonlight and snow
Old 02-27-2008, 02:03 PM
Typical Buck

Yes, a red lense is the only way to go. Don"t expect them to come in like gang busters either, they will be very slow to commit, even after dark. The red light will make thier eyes shine, but most times you can watch them shine in a big circle till they get down wind,,,, game over. If you do get them to come in good, it"s becouse of another coyote they want to beat to the kill. If your state lets rifle hunting after dark thats your best bet, becouse they will tend to hang out 200 or 300 yards. If you have alot of fox around they will come sit in your lap if you don"t shotem Good yuck
Old 02-27-2008, 02:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Don't shine a white light directly at them, keep them in the hallow of the light, and a white light will work just fine. The closer they get, the more important it is to avoid shining white light directly at them.
Old 02-28-2008, 03:18 PM
Typical Buck

Thats good to know. I always heard that they could"nt see a red light, so I"ve always used a red light. Even a red light ,you don"t want to shine it right at them.