Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Raccoon Trapping

Old 02-17-2008, 09:06 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Raccoon Trapping

wihunter says it best. Lay alot of traps. If your are baiting them, then turn off the feeder for a day or two and use the feed as bait in your live traps, dirt holes, etc... They may not go for other traditional baits if they are happy with what you are already feeding them. Curiosity baits may have some effectiveness. Anchor your traps well. Coon are amazingly strong for their size. Don't give them anything to use as leverage to decrease the chance of one powering out of a foothold. Check the traps daily at first light. They may chew a bit in a foot hold. Contrary to what most Disney patrons think, this is not an effort to chew off a foot to escape. They are chewing at the "thing" (trap) that is holding them. After a bit in the trap, the foot goes numb. As they chew on the trap, when they can no longer feel the foot below the grip of the trap, they inadvertantly chew the foot as well. This is why they don't chew above the grip of the trap. A smaller trap alleviates most of this, as there is little room to get the mouth around the trap and numbed part of the foot.

Most of the above applies to footholds not cage traps. Bodygrip traps are good, but are lethal and nondiscriminant. If there are no concerns about taking a domestic or other animal out of season or illegal to trap, then they are a good option. Hate to see a young deer with a 220 clamped about because he was curious or liked the smell or look of some bait in a bucket. More of a concern if setting in the vicinity of a feeder where the deer are congregating.
Old 02-17-2008, 07:17 PM
Fork Horn

I have never heard of a deer sticking its head in a connabear, but i guess if they smell whats in the feeder in that bucket, they might stick there head in it.You couldtry a 120 connabear, if a deer stuck its head through that itwould stick onits snout and it could pull out if thebox was staked to the ground good
Old 02-18-2008, 11:01 PM

hey those traps you are looking at work just fine and dont have to worry bout dogs and stuff. the 220's will work fine to and they be dead when u get there. if you got any questions let me know i do alot of trapping for coons and yotes. otherwise check out this site. www.trapperman.com. but those lil griz will work and by the looks of it you got enough to go around!!!!
Old 02-19-2008, 09:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the input everyone. I took the plunge and ordered another dozen of the Lil' Grizz Get'rz and am going to try to make a big dent in the raccoon population this weekend.

I'm looking for a used freezer to put in my barn to keep them after I skin them until I sell them. Doesn't sound like I'll get much for them ($8 or so from talking with some others in the area) but I've already had several co-workers with property say that if I wanted to trap raccoons on their land I was more than welcome. With a dozen traps I could almost pay for the gas to drive to their propertyand back if I got a 50% catch! (One has property 60 miles away and the other is 100 miles away both in the opposite direction of my land).

I think I'm going to look into buying or building some strechers and a fleshing knife also but think I won't really start trapping in earnest until next year. The season ends March 31st here and I don't think I will be able to get out more than one more time before then. This looks like it could be a fun outdoor activity!
Old 02-19-2008, 11:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you have that many coming to the bait just set up a tree stant and rig some lights to a switch. After you see a few come in flip the switch and let Armagedon begin.
Old 02-19-2008, 11:58 AM
Boone & Crockett

That game cam picture of all those coons has me more aroused than a Playboy centerfold. I would watch the late season trapping though in terms of fur prices. This time of the year many of them will have rubbed fur and may not be worth much of anything.
Old 02-19-2008, 12:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

DARN!!! Just got off the phone, my Lil Grizz traps aren't going to make it here in time for this weekend! [&:]

Don't think it will be worth the 200 mile roundtrip to set 2 measley traps.
Old 02-24-2008, 06:16 PM

#1. Sleep from 8 in the morning to 6 in the evening
#2. Drink TONS of Amp
#3. Get a shotgun, a couple dozen shells (judging by your problem. lol),and 1 or 2 dogs (if you have dogs)
#4. HAVE FUN!!!

Nah, well actually yeah that'd work, but I'd use snares or those smallish bear trappish things. I'm not big on traps, but I do enjoy trapping.
Old 02-24-2008, 10:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

I've had better luck with cage traps I bought at Tractor Supply than with anything else I've used. They were painted green, and came in a set of two, one inside the other. They needed a little work up front to get them to trip just right, but after that, they've done nothing but catch coons. They are very easy to use and very easy to set.
Old 02-24-2008, 10:02 PM
Giant Nontypical

I've had better luck with cage traps I bought at Tractor Supply than with anything else I've used. They were painted green, and came in a set of two, one inside the other. They needed a little work up front to get them to trip just right, but after that, they've done nothing but catch coons. They are very easy to use and very easy to set.

Quick Reply: Raccoon Trapping

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.