Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Eastern United States Big Cats???

Old 01-11-2008, 08:55 PM
Typical Buck

Default Eastern United States Big Cats???

I was watchin this show on the history channel called "Moster Quest" and it was focused on the idea of their being big cats in the eastern parts and midwestern parts of the United States. Personally, I thought that I seen this type of thing near dark but always figured it was just my eyes playin tricks on me. What do yall think? Could there be some species of big cat that is growing in population in eastern and midwestern united states?
Old 01-12-2008, 08:03 AM

Default RE: Eastern United States Big Cats???

There have been sightings and photo evidence of Mountain Lions in PA, WV, and MD in recent years.
Old 01-12-2008, 09:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

We have cougars in south Alabama. I have seen them in plain daylight on several occasions.
Old 01-12-2008, 02:21 PM
Typical Buck

A horse was killed not 5 miles from the property we hunt, the vet came out and said yotes couldnt have done it, everything about the kill matched a cougar kill. Our neighbor has seen two mountain lions in VA...I am sure they are around, rumor is the Game Dpt doesnt recognize them though because that would mean they would have to manage them.
Old 01-12-2008, 03:25 PM

There has been a cougar killed here in southern illinois this past fall,and since the game dept. doesnt recognize them it is legal to shoot them.
Old 01-12-2008, 03:50 PM

we have bobcats in indiana. near a place by where i hunt there is a lake with catfish that goes in the woods and at night you can hear the bobcats growling drinking from the lake
Old 01-12-2008, 09:06 PM
Typical Buck

Yes I beleive there are big cats in the southeast,mid west I have a good friend that is a seasoned hunter of 40years or more,he claims to have seen one cross the dirt road in front of the truck before daylight one morning,he decided not to hunt there again until gun season started,he said that it would be hard to keep the cat from climbing the tree with a bow.I beleive him because he loves to bowhunt more than to eat.I have seen scratchings as high as 5 to 6 feet on a tree one day while walking a creek fishing,dont know what made them but I now carry a pistol around that creek here in Kentucky
Old 01-13-2008, 12:28 PM
Boone & Crockett

Our neighbor has seen two mountain lions in VA...I am sure they are around, rumor is the Game Dpt doesnt recognize them though because that would mean they would have to manage them.
Here we have some to, again they do not recognize them. Here they do not because the question remains are they naturally wild or have them been released? Just a few years ago one was caught releasing one. They got that cat back and the guy got a big fine, alot of jail time, and now has a felony record, he will never be able to hunt after that trick. The eastern looks different than the western but, still alot of questions remain. Here it is best to let them be and hope they never know if they are wild or released ones to protect our way of life...