Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

yote traping

Old 12-28-2007, 07:03 PM
Spike

Default yote traping

several of my buddys have started trapin yotes with snares.I would like to start as well can anyone tell me whereI could get some snares or an easy way to make some? or any tips on trapin yotes or callin them in or anywayof takingthem at all would be apreciated. thanks, scott
Old 12-28-2007, 09:56 PM
mez
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: yote traping

Much easier to buy them and they are cheap. Look around the website at the link, there are some basic tips for snaring. Give these folks a call, they are very helpful. They will also send a catalog with your order that is full of snaring how to's and tips. I would recommend the coyote dispatch snare or the Amberg coyote snare, both deadly.

I set them along trails I know the yotes are using, setting fence crossings is very productive. Thickets with trails through them are good as well. I like to find a thicket with several trails going in and out. Go into the middle of the thicket and put some coyote lure, Pros Choice works well this time of year, on a piece of cloth and hang it up high in the thicket. Set snares on the trails in the thicket, works very well.

I will caution you, the snares that I recommended are a killing snare, they will kill whatever gets in them. If there are dogs around I would use a washer lock or some other type of relaxing lock snare, if the animal doesn't pull it doesn't get tight and it lets up when they quit fighting. Dogs figure this our real quick and you can let them go. The other locks will kill them. You also need to be careful if there is livestock around, snares can get around a cow's foot and usually by the time anyone notices something is wrong they end up losing a foot and someone cuts your snare off of the leg. Bad for landowner relations.

Snares are very effective but do require responsible use.

http://www.snareshop.com/cgi-bin/snareshop/index.html

Old 12-28-2007, 10:07 PM

Default RE: yote traping

in Iowa the snares have to have what i think they call deer stop on them. it wont let the snare close below 2 or 2 1/2 inches. anyways i use them all the time good luck and it is just as cheap to buy them in my opinion.