Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

COYOTES????

Old 12-06-2007, 08:38 PM
Fork Horn

Default COYOTES????

ok i can trap them but i just can't seem to GRASP this whole calling thing. i live in OHIO so the desert - western setups won't help here. but can i get any advise. i have hunted for tehm for liek a year and only seen 1 how long do you guys usually sit on a stand and what calls how do u call any help on this 1
Old 12-06-2007, 10:49 PM

Default RE: COYOTES????

I stay 15 minutes. Most I have called have shown up from 1 - 3 minutes. Next would be 5 - 7 minutes, after that I lose confidents in the stand. Some stay 30 minutes, but I rarely have had any luck after 10 minutes. I use a cottontail & jack rabbit hand calls. Try calling cross wind to where you exspect them to be, it makes it a little harder for them to get downwind of you without being seen.
Old 12-07-2007, 10:17 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: BUCKEYEhunter140

ok i can trap them but i just can't seem to GRASP this whole calling thing. i live in OHIO so the desert - western setups won't help here. but can i get any advise. i have hunted for tehm for liek a year and only seen 1 how long do you guys usually sit on a stand and what calls how do u call any help on this 1
I have also got a question about this. I hunt public land that is heavily pressured for deer, but no one hunts small game or predatrs at all, at least I have never seen anyone. My question is: how loud are you supposed to call? I use a Primos lil' dog, Lohman Circe P-1 Rabbit, and Sceery Cottontail asmyprimary calls. I livein the South and am mainly hunting in hardwoods and river bottoms. I see tons of coyote crap every timeI go out there so I know they're there, I just can't get them to come in.I try to keep my calling about the volume of a doe bleat can if that makes sense. Is that about the right volume?
Old 12-10-2007, 11:38 PM

I usually start out the first series low volume, in case something is close. Then the next series about medium and after that it's wide open. I normally call 30 - 45 seconds and wait 2 - 3 minutes between each series of calls. River bottoms the call travels along ways and echos, so I use a lower volume at these places. Good Luck!
Old 12-12-2007, 04:31 PM
Fork Horn

well, never seen a coyote with a watch on. and as for calling volume, well if you were a dieing rabbit how lowd would you scream ? become the dieing rabbit, think like you just had a bowlingball dropped on your little toe. its gona hurt alot , then you will sit down andcry it off until the pain goes away. you can time this if you would like but call shy dogs might take longer than you think its supposed to. be patient , get creative, become the rabbit and you will be sucessful.
Old 12-12-2007, 06:56 PM

wat calls would you reccommend for yotes?
Old 12-12-2007, 08:21 PM
Banned

Make sure that your calling area allows you to see the critters yet gives you some cover. Walk into the wind to the stand setup, then turn and sit with the wind blowing into your back. The critters will circle around and approach from down wind. I sit an open bottle of skunk essence a couple of feet down wind. DON'T kick the bottle over!! Been there, done that!! I seldom stay at a stand more than 12-15 minutes unless there are bobcats in the area, then 30-40 minutes. If a critter is shot quickly, keep calling as more than one is likely to come in. Howling in an area about 1 1/2 hours before daybreak will reveal where the yotes are working, then return and set up where you got a response and call where your sure to have a yote in hearing of the call.
Old 12-12-2007, 08:41 PM
Fork Horn

that is determined by the coyotes, not the hunter. recon pays big divedens here. walk the trails and check the scat to see what they are eating. feathers or hair, then you can decide . if the deer hunters have been lucky they may be haveing gut pile, check it out. most guys get a topo, get a fancy electronic call, go into a new area make a few call and get discoraged and may never go again. go into your area after a fresh snow and get on a coyote track and pay attention to where he takes you learn from him. let him show you what he likes to eat, where he likes to go. you will learn more this way than any videoor any expert could ever teach you. bring your GPS or camera and document where he makes a kill or finds his food . this will be where you will make your next calling, he will remember the last time he ate there. more important than the call you use , know your quarry , know his back yard, put yourself where he feels comfortable. you want to go one step futher set up trail timers to find out when he likes to come through a frequented area. once you get to know all this then you can decide what call you might try at a spot you know will be promising.
Old 12-12-2007, 11:17 PM

Check this post out http://www.trapperman.com/forum/ubbt...842#Post456842

There is some great stuff here, it should help you out.
Old 12-13-2007, 08:53 AM

BUCKEYEhunter where do you live in ohio? I live in ohio in butler county on the border in indiana

Quick Reply: COYOTES????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.