Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Badger

Old 11-26-2007, 10:36 PM

Default Badger

Tonight I spoke with one of the landowners I know, and he said he's having trouble with a badger on his place. He asked me if I could come out this weekend and try to remove it for him. He also said he knows roughly where its den site is. I don't have any experience with hunting/trapping badgers. I was thinking about setting up cross wind about 100 yards from it's supposed den site and mouse squeaking a little at first light, and if that doesn't work set a few steel traps. Anyone out there have any advice?

Also are badgers worth skinning? Are they worth anything at all?
Old 11-28-2007, 09:55 PM

Default RE: Badger

I'm going out for this badger in two days. Doesn't anyone know anything about fooling badgers?
Old 11-29-2007, 05:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

They are really not that hard to trap,but be careful they can be very aggressive.Just a standard bait hole set will get them.I know around here it is illegal to shoot them.They back into there dens most of the time so remember that when placing your set.
Old 12-01-2007, 09:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

There have been a few badgers taken by guys while calling, BUT it's not aregular effective method of taking them.
Old 12-01-2007, 09:21 AM
Fork Horn

I personally would rahter try andshoot him. Yes Badgers are great to skin. But if your going to do that, the best thing to do is probably trap him, or shoot him with a varmint caliber like a .223 ackley, .204 ruger, .220 swift, .17 rem. Your best bet would be to use either the .223 ackley or the .220 swift against a badger. BE VERY CAREFUL. Those things are very, very, very, very aggresive.So when you go to pick him up be sure he aint getting up. If you were going to trap himI would use a bear trap or some type of heavy duty trap. Wouldnt think of live trapping him. lol

Good Luck!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-01-2007, 04:03 PM

Thanks for the replies. I wasn't able to call him up this morning, so I put out a few traps. Hole sets, and cubby sets. I baited the cubbies with fresh cottontail. I'm going back around lunch time tomorrow to check on them.
Old 12-02-2007, 07:49 PM

I checked my traps today, and no badger. However he made a mess of one of my sets. The trap was sprung and buried in about 6" of dirt, the cottontail was gone and he wrecked my wooden box I used for the cubby set. I put it all back together, and put fresh bait in all my sets. We'll see what happens tomorrow. The set he wrecked is the closest to his den, so if it is wrecked again with no badger tomorrow I'm going to put my cuddeback camera to see exactly what he is doing.
Old 12-03-2007, 03:46 PM

Seems like the cottontail is working. Good luck
Old 12-03-2007, 06:52 PM

Cottontail is defiantly the ticket. He wrecked the same setlast night without getting caught again. I reset it, and put out my trail cam to see what he is doing. Hopefully there will be pics in the next day or so, more to come.
Old 12-03-2007, 07:17 PM
Typical Buck

Keep us posted. This does sound interesting. Be surprised what you might find when you check out the pictures.

Quick Reply: Badger

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.