Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

.243 for preditors?

Old 11-05-2007, 07:17 PM

Default .243 for preditors?

My research is stearing me towards the .243 for all round small caliber preditor/varmint gun.
Any arguments?
I don't roll my own. In a gunI'm looking for lighter recoil so I will shoot more often, a caliber which is legal to take (small) big game (.23 minimum in Wyoming), with ample variety of inexpensive ammo readily available.

Whaddayathink?

Specifically, a Remington 700 ADL in synth. and matte.
Old 11-05-2007, 07:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: .243 for preditors?

I think it is perfect. I currently have a .243 Ackley Improved being built for me right now.
Old 11-05-2007, 09:46 PM
Fork Horn

I was looking to get the Remington 700 .223 but it was a heavy barreled gun. When going store to store I learned one thing from each place. I decided on a .243 because it also can be used for deer and I like to have duel purposes for my guns. It is a package deal from the factory here is the gun. http://www.savagearms.com/11fxp3.htm
Old 11-05-2007, 11:37 PM

I bought a .243 this summer for the exact reason you stated- it's a great varmint gun, yet you can still use it on big game if you wish (in Wyoming). I've already shot a pile of prairie dogs (farthest was about 500 yards), an antelope, and I let my brother use it too shoot an antelope as well. I'll use it again next month when I fill all of my whitetail doe tags. Recoil is very minimal, and the winchester 80 grain soft points I shoot ($15 a box) work like a charm. In short, I've been very pleased with my choice to buy a .243. I don't think you'll be disappointed.
Old 11-27-2007, 12:33 PM
Fork Horn

dont get a 243 for a varmint rifle, i agree they are good guns. But they do great damage on coyotes, foxes, bocats. What you need to do is go and get you a .223 Accly Improved. You can hunt big game with it too. All you need to do is get heavier grain bullets. Like Remington Express Core- Lokts. But i myself reload. But im tellign you get a .223 aclly and you wont be dissapointed.
Old 11-27-2007, 03:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: bigbucks98

dont get a 243 for a varmint rifle, i agree they are good guns. But they do great damage on coyotes, foxes, bocats. What you need to do is go and get you a .223 Accly Improved. You can hunt big game with it too. All you need to do is get heavier grain bullets. Like Remington Express Core- Lokts. But i myself reload. But im tellign you get a .223 aclly and you wont be dissapointed.
A .223 is too small to humanly hunt deer sized animals regularly with. A .223 ACKLEY Imp is not worth it over a regular .223 anyway, just get a .220 Swift or a .22-250 if you want more speed.
Old 11-27-2007, 04:30 PM

ORIGINAL: game4lunch

My research is stearing me towards the .243 for all round small caliber preditor/varmint gun.
Any arguments?
I don't roll my own. In a gunI'm looking for lighter recoil so I will shoot more often, a caliber which is legal to take (small) big game (.23 minimum in Wyoming), with ample variety of inexpensive ammo readily available.

Whaddayathink?

Specifically, a Remington 700 ADL in synth. and matte.

Very good choice. One of the most versatile rounds out there. Just my 2 cents tho......check into savage for you 243. the accutrigger is amazing. a couple of my buddies have them and im in love with them. one is in a .243 if i remember right its model 11. and its what you stated that you wanted synthetic with matte barrel.

Old 11-27-2007, 05:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

243 is the greatest coyote gun ever made! At least, its my go-to coyote calling/shooting gun. They DO NOT blow up a coyote unless you hit the shoulder blade. I will show some examples for the non-believers.

Shot this one a few weeks back on the run, no damage.

One from last winter. Again, notice the snow where it fell, no blood.

All the damage it does to a jackrabbit:

This is the most damage I have ever seen my 243s do to any coyote. I will blame this on shooting the dog on the run, quartering away from me, and me hitting the shoulder blade. THe hole you see is the Entrance. There was no exit hole.

Old 11-28-2007, 09:26 AM

hey rammer:
what grain bullets are you shooting? are you reloading for it? if so are you lightin up on the powder load? thanks
Old 11-28-2007, 09:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm using a 60gr Sierra HP, loaded to max velocity (3600fps), with Varget for a powder.

The mangy coyote may have been shot with a 75gr Hornady HP loaded to max speed, can't remember for sure on that one.

The 75gr Hornady HP, since they re-designed it, makes an excellent coyote load as well.

Quick Reply: .243 for preditors?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.