Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Coyotes - meat only??

Old 01-20-2003, 10:36 AM
Fork Horn

Default Coyotes - meat only??

Do coyotes eat meat or do they also eat grains? This may sound like a stupid question but when I get a few answers I will tell you why I asked it.
Old 01-20-2003, 11:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Coyotes - meat only??

The coyote will eat what he has to to survive, but I don't think grain will be very high on its list. Obviously they will eat any kind of meat, including carrion(sp), insects, snakes, dog or cat food, and I'm sure other things. But, I'm guess that you found some scat with some sort of grain in it, and I'd just guess that it is from a raccoon? Just a guess though.
Old 01-20-2003, 11:58 AM
Fork Horn

No but good guess, I dumped 3 sandbags full of grain out in the woods last week and right in the center I put an apple flavored mineral block. Now 3 days after I put it out it snowed. Well yesterday there was still some snow on the ground and I went out to see how the grain was doing and there was a couple sets of yote tracks going right up to the grain. Now I was just wondering if they were checking it out or if they eat grain, or maybe licking on the block. Anyone know?
Old 01-20-2003, 03:13 PM
Typical Buck

coyotes will eat anything he has to including fruits and vegtables.although i would agree with howler on the fact that grain would most likly be low on there list of favorites.since you had a mineral block in the pile,i would say he was after the minerals or salt in the block.
Old 01-20-2003, 03:55 PM
Fork Horn

looks like I will be going coyote hunting.
Old 01-20-2003, 05:02 PM

The grain attracts mice, thats what the coyote is after. They love watermelon in the summer

If I ain't huntin',I'm trappin',If I ain't trappin',I'm fishin'
If I ain't fishin',I'm wishin'!
Old 01-21-2003, 05:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

I vote with trapper Dave.

Old 01-21-2003, 06:01 AM

Yes, coyotes eat grain, especially corn. After all have you ever looked at the ingredients in a bag of dog food. Yellow corn is one of the main ingredients. Coyotes will eat almost anything, they are survivors and darn good at it.
Old 01-21-2003, 10:36 AM
Fork Horn

so really if you put grain out unless you have a game cam, who in the hell knows whats eating it. Other animals could be gobbling it up before the deer even get there.
Old 01-21-2003, 01:11 PM

i think im going to vote for trapper dave as well. mice and squirrels will go after grain and birds too.

propmahn
save the world, reload your brass

Quick Reply: Coyotes - meat only??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.