Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Hogs

Old 01-14-2003, 09:58 AM

Default Hogs

How do you hunt hogs that can't be trapped? Has anyone had success calling them? I want to hunt without dogs.
Old 01-14-2003, 12:44 PM

Default RE: Hogs

I'll just take a wild stab of a guess since ive never hunted hogs because we dont have any around me. I guess you could do it the same as deer, that being either luck upon them, still hunt, stand, maybe bait i dont know.

propmahn
save the world, reload your brass

Old 01-14-2003, 01:03 PM

Definitely use a stand and bait them if its legal in your state. Be careful cause hogs are very mean. I have heard that you can shoot a hog and he will go hide and wait till you come off your stand and attack you. Good thing you're not using dogs. I have heard of many a good hunting dog get killed by a hog. Good luck and be careful!
Hector
Old 01-14-2003, 06:15 PM

Hogs are territoral and can be patterened more so than deer. they usuall us the same trails to and from feeding areas.
we take a few hogs each year from tree stands on there trails.as for them waiting on you after the shot,I have never found this to be the facts.they can be a BAD BOY if wounded and cornered.

if you can put out bait stations,that will work after they find it.usually just before dark and at first light just like deer.

just courious,why can't they be trapped???

I am not a hunter I am a whitetail population reduction specialest

remember keep your back to the sun, your knife sharp, and your powder dry.
Old 01-14-2003, 06:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Shoot every hog you can.

Old 01-14-2003, 06:47 PM

Yes you can hunt them from a stand just like deer which is really good if you can pattern them. The real problem will be that hogs will leave the area for days or even weeks if they pattern you. I find it a lot more fun to spot and stalk them. As long as you work into the wind and keep some kind of cover between you and them it is relatively easy and IMO a lot more fun. There is also an element of danger when stalking them, especially if you get really close(50yds. or less). When wounded they are very likely to charge so you need have a tree close by to jump into. Hogs are a lot easier than deer once you find them. Their nomadic nature makes that a challenge.
Old 01-15-2003, 08:17 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote<font size=1 face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>
Just courious,why can't they be trapped???
<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' size=2 id=quote>

Some have been trapped on this place before, but now they will not go into the traps at all. There are hogs everywhere and it is rare to get one in a trap. It is a friend's place so I don't have access all the time. I can only go when he invites me. He only hunts them at night with a light but hasn't had much success. They learn fast. Smarter than most people I know.

I hear that HOG WILD is good bait. Have you tried it?

Edited by - WThunter on 01/15/2003 09:19:15
Old 07-12-2003, 10:01 PM

all ya do is wait for them near a feeder with your rifle and light em up
Old 07-13-2003, 02:30 AM
Giant Nontypical

I just went hog hunting once about a year ago and man did i love it The guys we (my dad and I) were with knew the area well so we did both stalk hunting and i guess ' sat-on-butts' kindd. I got my first wild hog even though it was a Sow. I saw a big big boar but was too far away. I would love to go again and try with a bow as soon as i get good with it
Old 07-15-2003, 08:00 AM

Hogs are mean, remember " old yeller" ? Travis got maulled by one of them. And then the coyotes/wolves gave yeller rabies when they were fighting. I cried at the end.

Quick Reply: Hogs

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.