Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Question

Old 08-16-2007, 05:02 AM
Typical Buck

Default Question

Wher can i find what kind of fpe it takes to take down certain animals?
or do you know if a 1000 fps .177 caliber air rifle could kill a yote?
Old 08-16-2007, 07:17 AM

Default RE: Question

What you should do is check your regulations cause they usually tell you what the smallest calibre of of gun you can use to kill animals ethically. I know here in Alberta we arent allowed to use anything smaller then a 17HMR to kill animals. But im thinkin a .177 air rifle wont do the trick.
Old 08-16-2007, 12:41 PM

Hell no!!! You'd need at least 800 fps in .22, preferably with Beeman Kodiak pellets and a brain hit(body shots wont kill it).
Try an airforce airguns Condor or Talon(SS). www.airforceairguns.com
Or build your own: www.spudfiles.com.
Old 08-16-2007, 05:20 PM
Typical Buck

deathtodeer you said to by an 800 fps .22 can i have 500 dollars to by a good one? jk.

im going to make a good one, but would a 20 oz. pop bottle hold enough pressure to do anything? or would i have to go 2 lt.?

Old 08-16-2007, 07:28 PM

I shoot a 1000fps .177 pellet gun and I dont really think that it could take down a yote. I wouldn't trust it more than 40 yards on squirrels let alone coyotes, which can be dam tough animals remember.

If your planning on actually making a gun to hunt yotes (which is what I'm asuming from your last post) I would recomend against it unless you know exactly what you are doing.

On another note, why not just buy a .223 or something?
Old 08-17-2007, 09:41 AM

ORIGINAL: Brod_Man

deathtodeer you said to by an 800 fps .22 can i have 500 dollars to by a good one? jk.

im going to make a good one, but would a 20 oz. pop bottle hold enough pressure to do anything? or would i have to go 2 lt.?

They'll hold about 100 psi, but they CAN burst at lower pressures. Don't build it in .22 cal, .22 only has.037994 square inches of area, so the gas would only have that little space to act on. That would give AT MOST 3.8 fpe at the muzzle.
However building it in .50 cal would give you up to 20 fpe(kinda....dont feel like doing much math thats the gist of it).
Pellet guns can get such high velocities in small calibers b/c theyuse very high pressures, butuse avery low volume of air.
High pressures are dangerous to safely contain(don't quote me on the 10,000 psi gun!!!!You're a noob to this I have experience building airguns!!!) but lower pressures with a greater volume of air can providereasonable power.Foryotes use a 1/2 inch pvc barrel witharrow shafts and mechanical broadheads. If you can get a gun to shoot a marble through 1/2" plywood,you should be good for ayote head shot(at reasonably short range).

Try www.spudfiles.com again, people are helpful there. Start with a sprinkler gun, dont go for a piston-valve when you first start.
Old 08-17-2007, 09:59 AM
Typical Buck

death to deer- you keep telling me to go to spudfiles.com and use the wiki button but that doesnt help at all, should i join and ask how to build one?
Old 08-17-2007, 10:53 AM

Sure!!! But be warned, you will get yelled at for not using the wiki. Oh and dont double post.