Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Which gun?

Old 08-12-2007, 06:14 PM
Typical Buck

Default Which gun?

I was thinking about getting a predator rifle. I want either a .204 ruger because of the speed and trajectory or a 22-250 remington because I can also load 60gr. partitions in it for deer here in PA.Which gun do you guys think I should get?

P.S.- My shots are anywhere from 10feet-500 yards when hunting yotes and groundhogs.
Old 08-12-2007, 06:36 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Which gun?

Out of the 2 mentioned, I'd go with the 22-250. I personally am a huge .243 fan. anything from 55 gr for p-dogs, 70's for yotes, 100's for deer. If you already have a solid big game rifle, then the 22-250 should work fine.
Old 08-12-2007, 10:36 PM

I like the 243 also along with 223, but the 22-250 will work just fine
Old 08-15-2007, 04:08 PM

I've been researching this myself and what I came up w/ was the .204. If you're planning on shooting a lot of rounds or you really want a gun that will last for future generations (who doesn't?) the barrel on a .204 won't wear fast as on the .22-250 due to the smaller amounts of powder used in the .204.Also I don't know how it does it but out to 400 yds. every thing I read said the .204 bucked the wind better than the .223 and the .22-250. Mind you these are things I have read and researched about, not actually experienced, but as many times as I read it I think theres prbly some validity there. Do you already have a deer rifle? If so the .204 is the way to go!
Old 08-15-2007, 04:53 PM

Since you called it a "predator" rifle I assume you won't do the high-volume shooting that prairie dog hunters are known for. If this is the case you should throw out the "barrel life" arguement. We're talking thousands of rounds...you'll likely put less than 200 a year through your rifle. (+1 for 22-250) If you are really concerned with it make the conscious effort to let the barrel cool between shots...the best way to "burn" a barrel out is to rapid fire. (hot metal is soft metal, soft metal is easy to errode) Since you talked about loading the NPs I'll assume it might pull some deer duty. (-1 for the 204, +1 for 223,+1 for 22-250). The .223 will have a tighter twist that is required for the heavy 60gr NPs. If you get a NON-remington 22-250 they'll likely have a 1:12" twist which just might be enough. The remingtons are 1:14 and just won't do it. I've tried. I can keep them from tumbling for a short distance but accuracy is horrible. You can also try Speer's Trophy Bonded Bear claw, Barnes 53gr X bullets, or winchester's 64gr Power Points. I've having luck with the barnes in my remmy...but DANG they are expensive! The 223 will be much cheaper to practice with because it's a mil-surplus caliber. (22-250 is expensive around here and I can't hardly find 204 ammo...when I do it is also expensive)

I have a 22-250 and have shot a friends 204 and several 223s. I'd buy a .223. Cheaper to shoot, can take deer if properly loaded, and if you need something with less recoil you don't need to shoot anything. If you need something that shoots flatter you need to move up to the 22-250, not down to the 204 so you can keep your deer option open.

I'd also look at savage guns personally. Out-of-the-box accurate and IF you ever did burn a barrel out (we're talking in 10 years unless you shoot ALOT...then make if five) you can just by a new barrel, a $15 tool and swap it out with a littel internet research yourself.
Old 08-23-2007, 01:14 PM

Get a .22-250 Rem. Awesome gun. Very very very accurate.
Old 08-23-2007, 05:08 PM

i personally favor the .22-250 and the .223, but out of experience, the .223 doesnt have as much energy on those long shots and the .22-250 is pretty awesome accuracy and power but its expensive as hek and the heavier bullet makes itdrop more than the .204.i have shot all and the .204 has done better in wind and in long range because its a bit lighter it doesnt drop as easily and will require less hold off w/ plenty of power to spare. for those long shots i wuold always stik w/ the .204. also u just mihgt have to make quik shots w/ a gun. bcuase if a biga** coyote is runnnig and u just shot a little low then u should be tryin to take it down. .204 bullets are also expensive but not quite as much as the .22-250.
Old 08-23-2007, 05:50 PM
Typical Buck

They are both really nice cartridges. You really cant go wrong with either for coyotes and prarie dogs. For deer they are both on the light side but the 22-250 has taken its share of them. Its all going to come down to which one you think will be more practical for you, your method of hunting,and the type of hunting you will do themost. They are both accurate so you can rule this one out.