Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Yotes Vs. OO Buckshot

Old 08-10-2007, 07:04 AM
Fork Horn

Default Yotes Vs. OO Buckshot

guys, what's the effective range of 3" magnum OO Buckshot 15 pellets? I shot a yote in my back yard last night @ about 50-60 yards, got another off at 70 and one @ 90. I found some hair at 50-60 yards. Just wondering if it had enough umfff to penetrate good.

what do you guys think the effective range is? it's a 12ga. 28" barrel w/ mod choke.

thanks,
Dave
Old 08-10-2007, 09:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Yotes Vs. OO Buckshot

Penetration isn't the issue with 00 buck shot, but rather the lack of penetration in the right spot. With 15 pellets, the likelihood of getting the vitals with more than one pellet is minumal at 50 yards and further because the pellets will be too spread out at that distance.At 70 yards and beyondona running away target,you were wasting ammo.
With a well patterned gun, 50 yards broadside shot is pushing it, again mostly because of the lack of pellets in the 00 . 4 buck would give a better pattern at that range and most likely be more effective.
Old 08-10-2007, 09:28 AM
Fork Horn

I agree. I had some pretty good hair, so I think I got him pretty good. What is the best shotgun round for yotes @ ranges to 60 yards? the problem is when I see them in my yard it's only for a split second and usually running... that's why I'm opting for the shotgun right now. Put I'm going to make sure I keep the .22mag and .300WSM handy. For next time. Also, thinking of getting a .243 barrel for the Prohunter.
Old 08-10-2007, 10:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

The two most widely used would probably be the 3" 4 buck and 3" copper plated BB's. There is also the Hevi-shot "dead coyote" that comes in 3" T shot BUT at $30/10, not as many guys use them.
It would be best to also take the time to pattern your gun as some guys have found that more open chokes pattern better and some guys find that the tighter chokes pattern better. Basically, every shotgun is different and each needs to be patterned to find the most effective load/choke combo.
Old 08-10-2007, 11:20 AM
Fork Horn

I'll have to look at the Hevi-shot "dead coyote". What's the range on that stuff?
Old 08-11-2007, 07:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've read that guys are shooting out to 70 yards with the dead coyote. BUT let's be real here. That is a long ways for a shotgun no matter what load you're feeding it. The 3" dead coyote does have 50 pellets and this is where it shines because it willhave a much fuller pattern with the result of getting more pellets into the target. They also claim that the pellets are 10%heavier than lead, BUT I've also read that this has been found to be false.If they truely are heavier than lead, than they will indeed penetrate better, BUT you still gotta get enough of them in the kill zone to be effective and beyond 50 yards that is hard to do with any shotgun.
Old 08-11-2007, 07:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

4 Buck would be your best bet.. I couldnt find any 4 buck other than online so Ihave some BBB steel load which is just a little bigger than BB.. It'll do the trick either way..
I wouldnt waste your money on the dead coyote load.. all it really is, is T shot.. I wouldnt spend 3$/ shot.. JMO
Old 08-11-2007, 09:53 PM
Fork Horn

winchester makes a Coyote load too. It's their "xtender" line of supreme elite high density, B size shot. Anyone use every use it? how does it compare to the heavy shot?
Old 08-12-2007, 02:24 AM

I use my 870 for close shots. I tried most of the larger sizes from #2's to #4 buck, with all the choke tubes. Using a printed coyote target, life size, the best for my gun is 3" 12ga. dead coyote through a Carlton dead coyote tube. It keeps a good tight pattern out to 50yds. My hunting pardner found his Mossy wanted copper coated BB's in a extra tight full tube. As with rifles, it depends on what it likes to shoot. Anything over #4 buck just wouldn't give me enough holes to make a reliable kill.
Old 08-12-2007, 09:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Steel shot doesn't have the density of lead and so itloosesdown range velocity quicker. That's why for years, when steel took over lead in waterfowl hunting, the general rule was to go up 2 shot sizes from the conventional lead shot to regain down range punch with steel.
Lead out performs steel when you compare the same size pellets! So, it makes more sense to use a slightly smaller lead shot shell that has more pellets than the larger steel shot shell because you will get as good of penetration and will have a better, more full, pattern with lead.