Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Small Game, Predator and Trapping
 RUNNING RABBITS (I LOVE HUNTING THEM) >

RUNNING RABBITS (I LOVE HUNTING THEM)

Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

RUNNING RABBITS (I LOVE HUNTING THEM)

Old 08-06-2007, 04:29 PM

Default RUNNING RABBITS (I LOVE HUNTING THEM)

Could aCottontail Rabbit ever dodge an arrow traveling at 70-85 MPH at ranges of 15-30 feet? Just wondering, make this simple please.......... oh yeah and my bow is really quiet so I don't think noise will spook them to move out of the way before the arrow hits them.
Old 08-06-2007, 05:28 PM
Spike

Default RE: RUNNING RABBITS (I LOVE HUNTING THEM)

I would say definitely. The rabbit only needs to move a little bit to avoid the arrow and runs about half the speed of your arrow at full tilt. You spook it and he's gone. This would be a good way, however, to practice leading your target and/or spot & stalking.
Old 08-06-2007, 08:34 PM

I've had them duck and cover , right at the sound of release .
Old 08-06-2007, 08:56 PM

But the chances of that are slim, but it can still happen like you said. Thats why I do have stealth but at 15 feet away I can guarantee that a rabbit couldn't dodge an arrow traveling close to 85 MPH, It would be almost an instant impact kill, and I have a knack for knowing where the Rabbit is going to run to if I do spook it. But besides, most light 30# bows only shoot that fast anyway, and the Indians still took rabbits using those types of bows. And besides, the Rabbits like to stay still when I get like 20 feet away and less, and whenI raise my bow slowly and let the arrow go, it stays still because it is so used to getting hunted by Foxes and stuff, and those animals that hunt the Rabbits have to get really close and bite them with thier teeth, so a Rabbit wouldn't really expext an arrow to come at it really fast and hit it, and an arrow is really hard to spot in flight, almost like a flying ant, and I know this because I dodge arrows at 30 yards when my friends shoot the arrow at me with my bow. I know it's unsafe, but I only have about 2 seconds to move or im going to get hit. even though my bow shoots slow in archery terms, It still has stealth and shoots pretty fast to the human eye. I say if you use stealth, and get in range, the chance of a rabbit dodging an arrow is as slim as getting struck by lightning.
Old 08-07-2007, 04:22 AM

So why did you ask the qeustion???? You seem to answer them yourself.
Old 08-07-2007, 09:55 AM

your kind of right, but I like to see who can argue with me the most and stuff, im not looking for a fight but a competiton thats fun online
Old 08-07-2007, 10:25 AM

Oh and I have a question for a simple snare. IfI made a path about six toseven feet long with a sturdy wall of sticks, that wasn't to narrow, maybe about a foot in width, and then about halfway I set a fishing line/wire snare, and ont the other side (the front of snarewas freshly cut clovers and apples,I cover my scent and leave it there in the field near the dens of rabbits, would this work???
Old 08-07-2007, 01:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

your kind of right, but I like to see who can argue with me the most and stuff, im not looking for a fight but a competiton thats fun online
[:'(][:'(][:'(][:'(]

Oh and I have a question for a simple snare. IfI made a path about six toseven feet long with a sturdy wall of sticks, that wasn't to narrow, maybe about a foot in width, and then about halfway I set a fishing line/wire snare, and ont the other side (the front of snarewas freshly cut clovers and apples,I cover my scent and leave it there in the field near the dens of rabbits, would this work???
Why don't you save us all some time and enlighten us 'All Knowing One' since I'm sure you have already tried and know the answer.
[8D][8D]
Old 08-07-2007, 02:56 PM

hahaha you a smart%$^ like my other pal on here. Continue on your way lesser one.......
Old 08-08-2007, 10:28 PM

Hey. i know im answing my own question. but i checked this online like 1 minute ago and it said that a 70-80 MPH arrow is hitting a target at 28.12 milla seconds at 15 feet, and at 20 feet 33 mila seconds, and so on, so no rabbit could dodge that, it would be unnatural and impossible in terms of physics. the arrow is just to fast. 28 milla seconds is faster than you can blink your eye. thats pretty fast. so in archry terms 75 MPH is slow, but still physically fast and has a high velocity that is impossible to dodge at close range.

Quick Reply: RUNNING RABBITS (I LOVE HUNTING THEM)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.