Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Trapped coon help

Old 07-30-2007, 10:55 AM
  #1  
Nontypical Buck
Thread Starter
 
squirrelkilla23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: marshallville, ohio
Posts: 3,221
Default Trapped coon help

Ok, i'm going to trap coon this fall again, and i was wondering. Is there a speific spot in the head you can aim for that just instantly puts the coon out, renders it motionless? I've done it with a groundhog once. But the coons always seem to take a while to go. Anybody have a target spot for me to aim for?
squirrelkilla23 is offline  
Old 07-30-2007, 11:06 AM
  #2  
Boone & Crockett
 
Lanse couche couche's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Southwest Ohio
Posts: 10,277
Default RE: Trapped coon help

If it is a coon on dry ground, i whack it right at the base of the skull. If it is in water, i will tag it right on the top of the head enough to knock it out, then let it drown. You have to watch it since fracturing the skull can make it harder to skin. Also, you need to make sure to use something relatively heavy and very hard. My favorite club is an aluminum little league sized ball bat. Worked like a charm on coons and i even used it on a really ticked off bitch coyote too.
Lanse couche couche is offline  
Old 07-30-2007, 11:18 AM
  #3  
Nontypical Buck
Thread Starter
 
squirrelkilla23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: marshallville, ohio
Posts: 3,221
Default RE: Trapped coon help

I was talkin about shootin it with a .22 short. I know the shorts will penetrate the skull, it's been done with a coon before. but i'm talking about a real quick ethical shot to knock it down fast, because they uaually bleed and if they flop arouund they get blood all over themselves and that's a mess to clean up[:@]
squirrelkilla23 is offline  
Old 07-30-2007, 11:50 AM
  #4  
Boone & Crockett
 
Lanse couche couche's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Southwest Ohio
Posts: 10,277
Default RE: Trapped coon help

I quit shooting trapped coons years ago, since it is generally messy no matter how clean of a shot you take. But, if i am gonna do it, i aim between the eyes and then up somewhat. If you aim too low, then you miss the brain and are just shooting it thru the nasal passage and then it really flops around.
Lanse couche couche is offline  
Old 07-30-2007, 12:21 PM
  #5  
Nontypical Buck
Thread Starter
 
squirrelkilla23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: marshallville, ohio
Posts: 3,221
Default RE: Trapped coon help

Ohh, lol i'm takin this to PM's. This is too good of an anti fuel. check your inbox lanse
squirrelkilla23 is offline  
Old 07-30-2007, 12:40 PM
  #6  
Nontypical Buck
 
psebwhntr16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: KY
Posts: 1,230
Default RE: Trapped coon help

95% of the coons I trap are in drowning sets in water. The other 5% get a Louisville slugger to the head. Don't waste a bullet and mess up the pelt. Even a small hole from a .22 can drop a 15$ pelt down to a 5$ pelt. Maybe think about using snares. Coons are notorious for slipping out, but when you get one in a snare it will usually be dead when you check your lines.
psebwhntr16 is offline  
Old 07-30-2007, 05:10 PM
  #7  
 
Redneck Bowhunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location:
Posts: 1,020
Default RE: Trapped coon help

Drown It
Redneck Bowhunter is offline  
Old 07-30-2007, 05:50 PM
  #8  
Nontypical Buck
Thread Starter
 
squirrelkilla23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: marshallville, ohio
Posts: 3,221
Default RE: Trapped coon help

with what spit? lol, i mostly make sets farrr away from water
squirrelkilla23 is offline  
Old 07-30-2007, 06:35 PM
  #9  
 
Redneck Bowhunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location:
Posts: 1,020
Default RE: Trapped coon help

Bring a bucket, lol.
Redneck Bowhunter is offline  
Old 07-30-2007, 06:37 PM
  #10  
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Western NYS
Posts: 61
Default RE: Trapped coon help

When I used to coon hunt... I would carry and axe handle. You can get one at your local hardware store for under $10. Usually one good hit at the base of the the skull where the neck connects puts them away.
sullivt is offline  

Quick Reply: Trapped coon help


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.