Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

for yote hunters

Old 07-29-2007, 11:07 AM

Default for yote hunters

What are yotes actually good for? After you shoot one that is... I mean I dont think they make good table fare so then you just skin 'em and toss out the carcass or what? I've thought about yote hunting but i dont know what you do with them once you get one...
Old 07-29-2007, 11:41 AM

Default RE: for yote hunters

Have no idea if they are good table fare or not. Just can't bring myself to eat a coyote, but I'm sure someone has. We don't hunt them until later when the fur is prime. Not saying we don't shoot a few during the year but just don't set out to hunt them until it turns cold. I like to keep the fur as we sell most but do tan out a few for ourselves. We skin 'em and toss the carcass, but you don't have to even skin them as most fur buyers will buy the whole animal. If it's in the summer or has mange (SP), just leave it.
Old 07-29-2007, 08:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Save the hide and tan it or have someone do it for you. They look good in the house, or you can sell them if you get enough.
Old 07-30-2007, 09:33 PM

save/tan the hide and its one less predator killing game animals
Old 08-01-2007, 10:31 PM
Fork Horn

I said it elsewhere, but one or two make a neat mount to put in the corner. But around here we kill everyone that we see and usually just leave em. In fact, one landowner made me promise that killing yotes took priority over shooting deer. The only thing that trumps a yote is a bobcat or wild dog.
Old 08-01-2007, 11:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Down here *on my property in SC, yotes are considered more "varmint" than they are "predator." The only good yote is a dead yote. Of course, we keep the hide as a trophy... as for fox and bobcat, we'll take some, but they are not as common as the infamous yote, so we tend to leave them alone.