Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Trapping coon

Old 06-30-2007, 04:27 PM

Default Trapping coon

I just recently got a english redtick to coon hunt with and i need a coon to train him. I need the coon to be alive. I have 3 foothld traps that i can use. Could someone tell me a good set-up for a coon. I will be trapping them in south carolina along the edge of a swamp. Also do you know a good trapping website to help with coon trapping. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 07-01-2007, 12:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Trapping coon

Man, get a couple cage traps. Those footholds need to be placed just right and selected with a little knowhow to keep from tearing a coons feet up.You dont want a maimed coon.Any set up with a cage trap is good for coon.Just find coon sign and set up on it.Use something stinky and fishy and throw a couple marsh mellows in there. Even cat food will work. Ya better check it 2 times every day and set up in the shade though, cause the sun and heat will kill them.
Old 07-01-2007, 01:30 PM

Yep, cage traps.

Cheap canned catfood, fried chicken leftovers, dead fish, burnt meatloaf,.......
Old 07-01-2007, 02:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Just use the footholds you have and make a cubby set. Find a tree with a wide base and stack some logs/sticks/brush paralel to each other making a 2-3 foot "V". Put some tuna in the back of the set and a couple of footholds at the entrance and you should catch one easy.
Old 07-06-2007, 07:10 PM
Fork Horn

go cage traps www.coondawgs.com or www.ukcdogs.com
Old 07-07-2007, 01:28 AM
Typical Buck

I say cage traps to. Hes apt to be a little ugly with an injured leg. You dont want your dog or yourself to get bit.
Old 07-07-2007, 10:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

cage trap for sure
Old 07-07-2007, 04:44 PM
Typical Buck

cage traps and a can of sardines (small hole underneath cage in which i set the can in)do the trick for me. I have caught some suprisingly big coon in the cage traps too.
Old 07-13-2007, 10:42 AM

Most coons in the wild will not go into cage traps. There has to be no human sent around and the cage has to be well camoflaged. I learned from an 80 yr. old man the old school way, good 'ole steel traps. You can get rubber linings for the traps so the coon has minimal damage if any. You have to check the trap the first thing in the morning because coon's will pull out or chew-out if giving time.
The best method to training young hounds is older coon hounds, if you can find a Coon Hunting club near your home, this would be a good start.
Old 07-13-2007, 04:41 PM
Typical Buck

Just take a cage trap and spread some peanut butter on the trap plate. Ive caught countless coons using this method.

Quick Reply: Trapping coon

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.