Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Help Trapping a "Fisher cat"

Old 06-21-2007, 03:53 PM

Default RE: Help Trapping a "Fisher cat"

Can someone post a pic of one? I have never seen or heard of em. Might not have em down here
Old 06-21-2007, 07:55 PM

Nevermind I found one.

Old 06-22-2007, 10:17 AM

There's a nice photograph. Thanks for posting !
Old 06-22-2007, 10:22 AM

Found it doing a google search. We don't have them here. Trap it alive and send it to me
Old 06-23-2007, 01:49 AM
Giant Nontypical

Here is a link if anyone is interested in learning more about the Fisher Cat

http://home.mcn.net/~wtu/fisher.html
Old 06-23-2007, 10:27 AM
Boone & Crockett

I have seen them before when hunting and they are a mean looking animal that is for sure. However I think they will stay away from areas people are commonly around. So what you have going on is strange, and I wouldn't hessitate getting a hold of a warden. Cause whatever it is you need to get rid of it.
Old 06-23-2007, 05:16 PM

Thanks for the very useful links ! A lot of great information. I really appreciate you guys taking the time to post them for me.

Many thanks!
Old 06-24-2007, 06:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

The season for trapping thm is closed in NY. I strongly suggest contacting the DEC. Yeah I know I don't have much faith in them either but they might want to run some test on it. Fishers are just starting to make a comeback in NY the past years. I ran a small line for them but never got one. I have seen them bowhunting.

If you do trap it please use a live trap and take it somewhere else to release it. They have a slow reproduction cycle. Any type of fresh meat will bring it into a live trap. I would make sure the trap can't be tipped over though.
Old 06-24-2007, 08:23 PM
Fork Horn

I live in wisconsin trapped one a few years back. My suggestion would be a 220 conibear trap will kill it instantly like a oversized mousetrap. Use a pole set take a log about 7 feet long and lean it against a tree at about a 45 degree angle then attach the trap on the log and put some fresh meat above the trap any kind will work I would suggest beaver if you can get it it is very strong smelling and will bring it in from a ways. Using the pole set will insure that you get a fisher. Other animals like a coyote or dog will not climb the log. If you use a live trap put a couple stakes down through the top of the trap so that it can not be tipped and discise it to look natural. If you have any questions feel free to pm me and let me know how it goes.
JOE
ps if you live trap it take it a long long ways away it will just come back. they hunt about a 6 mile square area so ive heard
Old 06-24-2007, 10:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: hoseromon
Ill back that up! The pole set with a muskrat carcass and a 220 will pop him hard. The same trap in front of a 5 gallon pail baited with muskrat is also good. A little skunk essance 5-6 ft off the ground will get him working the area. then a little fish oil leading him to the top of the pole will get him caught. They are mean and can kill a small deer.They are meaner than they are smart.Almost like catching raccoons.Good luck!
I live in wisconsin trapped one a few years back. My suggestion would be a 220 conibear trap will kill it instantly like a oversized mousetrap. Use a pole set take a log about 7 feet long and lean it against a tree at about a 45 degree angle then attach the trap on the log and put some fresh meat above the trap any kind will work I would suggest beaver if you can get it it is very strong smelling and will bring it in from a ways. Using the pole set will insure that you get a fisher. Other animals like a coyote or dog will not climb the log. If you use a live trap put a couple stakes down through the top of the trap so that it can not be tipped and discise it to look natural. If you have any questions feel free to pm me and let me know how it goes.
JOE
ps if you live trap it take it a long long ways away it will just come back. they hunt about a 6 mile square area so ive heard

Quick Reply: Help Trapping a "Fisher cat"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.