Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

HELP! Bad/good problem?!@#$%

Old 05-03-2007, 03:13 PM
Fork Horn

Default HELP! Bad/good problem?!@#$%

Hello there. You might have read my other post about having a mixed breed bird dog...........anyway, I dont really hunt birds, but rabbits on the other hand I do. I know you are problem thinking I have beagles. No, strangely enough I hunt rabbits with my Black Lab Retriever mix. Yes strange, but thats a different story entirely. He is an awesome awesome rabbit dog. Too good actually! He runs rabbits down constently! I mean he will be running a rabbit for me barking his head off, then all of a sudden he'll shut up. I'll walk around and find where he is by following his last bark, and I'll find him eating the rabbit!~ I've found him doing this numerous times, almost everytime we go out. He is so fast he catches the rabbits, he doesnt run them to me....... what do I do? Thought i'd ask you guys, I've asked friends and dog trainers b ut they are stumped.... they say get a slower dog, lol. but I love this dog, and he's reall well trained/behaived. Any input will help.
Old 05-03-2007, 11:38 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: HELP! Bad/good problem?!@#$%

That is not a big problem. put a muzzle on the dog and he will stop eating rabbits.
Old 05-04-2007, 12:06 AM

Man, I wish I could keep my beagle from running off (to the point we have to just give up and hope she returns on her own) on random scents outdoors, much less bear down on a rabbit!

She's just a free spirit I guess. Seems like nothing can fix the poor thing. Not to mention she's scared to death of a cap gun, much less a full fledged gun shot.

But I agree with B.B.A., a muzzle should instantly solve that problem as it'll make it more or less impossible for your "problem" to occur. Good hunting man! Love me some rabbit!
Old 05-04-2007, 12:25 AM

Sometimes the simplest things are the best solution. I would have to agree and just put a muzzle on him.
Old 05-04-2007, 07:19 AM
Fork Horn

Yeah, there is only one problem. He wont run with a muzzle on. You cant even put a muzzle on him, all he does is paw and scratch at it trying to get it off, he freaks out. I'm stuck? Dunno what to do.
Old 05-04-2007, 10:55 AM

peanut butter under his lips so he spends all this time licking instead of eating?

haha i dunno, just an idea
Old 05-07-2007, 04:09 AM
Fork Horn

Yeah, there is only one problem. He wont run with a muzzle on. You cant even put a muzzle on him, all he does is paw and scratch at it trying to get it off, he freaks out. I'm stuck? Dunno what to do.
-Trust me, he will get used to the muzzle. Just put the muzzle on and when he gets rabbit scent in his nose he wont even notice the muzzle...
Old 05-07-2007, 12:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

how will he bark with a muzzle on?