Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Birds at Night

Old 04-24-2007, 02:33 PM

Default Birds at Night

Hey ya'll,

Me and a few of my buds went down to some huntin ground I own and we were huntin for some coyotes down there, and we noticed at about 11pm-1am there were birds chirpin' like it was 6am.

Seemed to happen whenever we were callin' em in. Is this because of the call itself, coyotes movin' in to look, or just a freak event?

Others experiences or conclusions would be nice. My dad said he never heard anythin like it in all his years huntin'. Haha.

Thanks in advance ya'll.

Old 04-25-2007, 01:38 PM

Default RE: Birds at Night

This doesn't happen often but what you are doing is disturbing birds when they are roosting for the night. Most ofwhat you are hearingare song birds in their nests. When you cut loose with calls close to their nests, they get all shook up thinking something is coming after their eggs. When they all pipe in at the same time, it is meant to confuse what ever is coming after them or the nest.
Old 04-25-2007, 01:47 PM

These are nesting song birds. When you sneak intotheir area and cut loose with a predator type call, you startle the heck out of them. Wait until some night when you get into a nesting area of crows. They come unglued when you call under them at night. By several birds all calling at once, it is meant to confuse the intruder. They are doing this as a defensive measure for themselves and their eggs.
Old 04-25-2007, 02:21 PM

Very intersting. Thanks for the great reply, Wally.