Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Racoons

Old 04-06-2007, 12:14 PM

Default Racoons

I would like to try and harvest some racoons to see the grouse numbers go up. Anyone have any advice on how to hunt them? I have some coyote calls and I have called them in before with a wounded rabbit sound but looking for a different approach. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 04-06-2007, 01:08 PM

Default RE: Racoons

I use coon cuffs or egg traps they work good and there is no pelt damage. They will run you about 15 to 20 bucks each but that is here in CANADA. Good luck hope this helps you a bit...
Old 04-06-2007, 01:23 PM
Typical Buck

IF it is legal in your state,which Im not even sure if it is legal in my state, just drive around on a four wheeler or walk around fields and creeks and use a spot light to locate glowing eyes in trees and walk up to the tree and use a coon squaler call to get them to look at you and pop them with a .22 or any other weopen of choice. This can be very effective, but my favorite has to be just trapping them. Set the trap, bait it, and wait.
Old 04-06-2007, 05:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

You may be too late to hunt them now You might want to check your regs just to be sure. I know Iowas coon season ended a couple months ago
Old 04-06-2007, 07:11 PM

trap them, most places you can hunt or trap varmits in the offseason as pest control, ask some neighbor farmers if they want them to keep coons away from the sileage piles, one guy would use roadkills for this, maybe they would even pay for the dead coons
Old 04-06-2007, 09:07 PM

I think I will try trapping them. Thanks for the info everyone!
Old 04-10-2007, 05:07 AM

hand traps work well
Old 04-10-2007, 11:01 AM

Default RE: Raccoons

I like using a live trap baited with sardines, a honey-bun or peanut butter. It is getting hotter now so the honey-bun or peanut butter may work better. I know a few coon hunters and they are always looking for a live coon to help train puppies.
Old 04-10-2007, 12:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

What makes you think that will increase the grouse numbers?
Old 04-10-2007, 07:14 PM

Im just trying to get all the grouse predators that I can off my property. And since racoons do go after grouse, I figured it would be a few extra grouse.

Quick Reply: Racoons

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.