Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

.22 Hornet for Coyotes?????

Old 03-16-2007, 06:45 PM

Default .22 Hornet for Coyotes?????

Does anyone out there have any experience with the Hornet on coyotes?

Old 03-16-2007, 08:04 PM

Default RE: .22 Hornet for Coyotes?????

Yes, i have killed lots of coyotes with a .22 Hornet. It is not the ultimate coyote zapper but it will get the job done at ranges up to 150-175 yards. A good .22 Hornet handloadis 11 grains of 2400behind a 45 grain bullet. This is a max load in the .22 Hornet, work up from10 grains.

Old 03-17-2007, 07:25 AM

Hey alsagr.......Thanks for the reply. However, I don't reload. I shoot 46 grain hollow points by Winchester. In my part southeastern Ohio, there are lots of hills and I can accomplish my setups to shoot 100 yards or less. Most of my stands are shotgun at 50 yards or less. I like getting in close to the responding coyotes. I shot one facing me at 59 yards and put the bullet in the chest.He spun real fast three times and then headed for the next zip code. I was able to track him for over 100 yards but lost him. I thought the Hornet should have done better. Any recommendations????
Old 03-17-2007, 07:18 PM

"I thought the Hornet should have done better. Any recommendations????"

Sounds like the bullet did not expand.This is was common tothe old 60 grain HP bulletin the Winchester
factory .25/20 loading.
Old 03-17-2007, 09:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds like the bullet did not expand
Or a poor shot choice? Facing head on isnt a shot i would take personally, you have alot of room for error on that one. you could have waited for a shot from the side at the viatals.

Where at in ohio do you hunt? I hunt around Cadiz. The yotes are thick as snot there!
Old 03-18-2007, 07:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

They were popular when I was kid (long time ago!) before the other 22 centerfires caught on in the midwest. People used them for farmyard ranges, I would say 100 yards or so. Worked just fine. The other really nice thing is a very low report in settled areas. You won't wake the neighbors on Sunday.
Old 03-18-2007, 09:42 AM

Hey Guys:
Really appreciate the replys. Learning a lot.

Alsgar.....Never thought of the bullet not expanding. That would make a lot of sense. Would have liked to performed an autopsy on that coyote. I am going to try to get in contact with you later. Sure would like to make arrangements for you to handload some of those rounds that you use!!!!!! Willing to pay good for them!!!!

Squirrelkilla23....I live in Noble County, 30 minutes south-east of Caldwell or 30 minutes north-east of Marietta. Plenty of coyotes here too. You are correct on the poor shot positioning of the coyote. However, it was now or never. He was about to scent my trail where I placed my decoy. A few more steps and he would have left quickly. I had a lot of confidence in my shot placement and figured I would drop him like a bad habit.

Guys....I am not giving up on my .22 Hornet yet. My old reliable is my .243 but I sure like my Hornet. Like biscuit jake said..."Won't wake the neighbors". Everyone around here hears a shot in the off season and they think it is a poacher. They come driving up to my car to get the plate number and give me the "bad eye". My Ruger 77 All Weather is so sweet to shoot and I can really hit with. Just don't want to give up on it yet. However, a few more "non-retrievals" ans she will hang on the wall. I am a clean kill nut!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 03-18-2007, 11:04 AM
Fork Horn

ohio
The load I have worked up for mine is 13.2 gr ofWin 296 and 45 gr hornadyhornet bullet
3000 fps.MAX for my rifle.About 1/2 inch penatration then explodes MASSIVE DESTRUCTION
NO EXIT.It's great out to 200 yards. I evenuse it once in while for deer in GA. 50-75 yards
Hornetand super explosive bullets have lighter jacketsfor faster expantion inlower velocity
cartrages1800-3600 fpsthey make a big difference.
It's only about 400 fps slower than my .222 rem.

know your abilities before you pull the trigger
just my opinion thx oh and good luck
Old 03-18-2007, 08:05 PM

Been getting some great advise from everyone and I sure appreciate it.
I don't handload and it sure seems that the Hornet users out there that do handload definitely have a unique advantage. I figure I have two options:

1) Find someone to load for me.
2) Find a factory load that will performthe way I need it to.

I don't know anyone in my area that handloads .22 Hornet.
Does anyone know of a factory load thatwill come close to these great handload results?????????????

Old 03-19-2007, 05:33 AM

"Does anyone know of a factory load thatwill come close to these great handload results?????????????"

Thelast factory loads that i have triedwere Remington. Bought them about 15 years ago in a pinch when i was hunting in WV. They were loaded with the 45 grain Pointed Soft Point bullet.They seemed to kill coyotes OK.

Got a new .22 Hornet barrel for my Encore. It is going tom the gunsmith soon to be re-chambered to a .22 K-Hornet. This is a sharp shouldered wildcat cartridge based on the .22 Hornet case. Main benefit of the K-Hornet: The cases last longer and the velocity can be boosted about 100-150 fps.

Quick Reply: .22 Hornet for Coyotes?????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.