Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

coon hunting

Old 03-07-2007, 06:41 PM

Default coon hunting

ive done alot of small game hunting and deer hunting. but i want to start coon hunting. i need some advice on how to get started. is it possible to teach my chocolate lab to tree? and howdo i basically start out
Old 03-07-2007, 08:06 PM

Default RE: coon hunting

I would start out by buying a good walker dog if I were you. Make sure that it has a good bloodline in it. If u want one already treeing, then it'll prlly run you from 200 dollars to 5 or 6 thousand! You prolly won't be able to get a chocolate lab to tree.....if u do, let me know how!!! The best thing you can get is a tracking system....a good used one bout 150 dollars.....a new one bout 6-8 hundred dollars!!! good luck and if u have any ?'s feel free to pm me.
Old 03-07-2007, 08:23 PM

thats pretty much all my friend does and he uses mountain cur dogs, but there are many breeds that work. no one breed is the bestm though many dog owners wil tell you their breed is. no your lab wont tree. Yea id reccomend a tracking collar and reciever as well, cuz it sucks trying to find a dog that dont bark until treed on a slow night. lol it is really fun, but good dogs can be REALLY expensive, unless you buy new and train them yourself. my friends dog is probably worth 3-5 or 6 thousand dollars right now, and id probably have to offer him 8 for him to sell just because that is his best friend. i love going, and go every chance i get. id reccomend hooking up with some local coon hunters and tagging along to learn the basics. then get a dog or pup and maybe eventually start running it with their dogs. who knows but it is really really fun.
Old 03-07-2007, 09:11 PM
Fork Horn

well u need to get a coon hound first.... nota lab.... if u know of any people that do coon hunt.... if they have an older dog.... hunt it with their dog... trap some coons and train the dog on em.... i agree with TEmbry... a trackin system is good to have.... join a local coon huntin club if there is one near u... you can get great advice and they can help.... its the greatest huntin ever!!!
Old 03-08-2007, 07:35 AM

Coon hunting is very addictive, much like all other types of hunting. It can get expensive. I would try to find a few guys and go with them. Make sure its something you really want to do before putting alot of money into it. A good light is a must, a reliable tracking system is needed. And a good dog. I hunt walkers, but there are good ones in every breed. If you decide to find a dog to train surely there are some good ole pleasure hunters around that do some breeding and you can pick one up for a fair price. Yes a well bred pup is nice, but there are several fine hounds out there that very few people have heard of. Look for some old timers that hunt ALOT. They usually are packing a coon dog. Where about you from Holt?
Old 03-08-2007, 08:07 AM
Fork Horn

well i just got started last year, and i tell u its really expensive. First my dog costed me 175 as pup doesnt gareentee hunting so u might have to start over, kennel, dog house, tracking system i have rd400 and 2 collars with tree switch which is almost necessary for 400 then a coon hunting light 75-250, dog food, gas