Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Broke in my 17 HMR

Old 02-20-2007, 11:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Broke in my 17 HMR

I love this gun, really fun to shoot and accurate too. I can shoot a squirel in the eye at over 50 yards. Not much of his head left tho. I use the Remington 17 grain boattail, polymer tip bullets, around $10 for 50 rounds. Haven't shot much long range yet but I have been told it does pretty good. This is gonna be fun!!
Old 02-20-2007, 03:07 PM

What part of the body did you hit? How long did it run before it was dead?
Old 02-20-2007, 03:33 PM

Congrats on a good gun and a coyote with a very nice pelt. They seldom get that sleek and pretty here-too warm.
Old 02-20-2007, 03:38 PM

Great story, very inspiring!
I am looking to get the same gun. I even have a few BSAs. They have impressed me, a nice underdog.

Old 02-21-2007, 08:54 AM

Nice yote! I wish I was dog hunting.
Old 02-23-2007, 02:01 PM

JMBckhunter-

Congrats on an excellent shot and the deflowering of your 17HMR!!!

I recently purchased one myself and can't wait to do what you've done!

Hope the taxidermist does a good job!
Old 02-24-2007, 04:11 PM
Typical Buck

nice job man!! i can't wait to get out there and break mine in too!!
Old 02-25-2007, 08:31 AM

Congrats on the kill!! Nice looking yote. But I have a question. How many people actually recommend the .17hmr as a coyote round? I have a .17 myself. But the more I read, the more I find most people say its not powerful enough for coyotes, especially long range. Is there anyone that feels it is not adequate enough for coyotes? Or is the general consensus that it is enough with a well placed shot?
Old 02-25-2007, 11:05 AM

ORIGINAL: rhdeerslayer
Congrats on the kill!! Nice looking yote. But I have a question. How many people actually recommend the .17hmr as a coyote round? I have a .17 myself. But the more I read, the more I find most people say its not powerful enough for coyotes, especially long range. Is there anyone that feels it is not adequate enough for coyotes? Or is the general consensus that it is enough with a well placed shot?
Rh I shoot one as well and i have found it does the job in close ranges such as this case. However for your 250 yard shots its a no no. Not a coyote gun but can be used as one in a pinch. I have taken yotes with mine as well but all were close range, i need a longer range dog gun as right now i am shooting them with the 7mm rem mag. [:-]
Old 02-25-2007, 12:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

the little hummer can do the job on a coyote, if the shots are well placed and short ranged. The primary reason that the .17 hummer isn't used much is that most guys don't want to be forced to short only the close coyotes and they want the coyotes to be DRT. Doa lot ofcoyote callingusing the .17 hummer, and you'll be passing a lot of opportunties and will be tracking wounded coyotes!

Quick Reply: Broke in my 17 HMR

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.