Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Snow and Yotes!!!???!!!???!!!

Old 02-13-2007, 11:57 AM

Default Snow and Yotes!!!???!!!???!!!

I live in Ohio and there is a blizzard warning out and everything right now and we are supposed to get 10-15in of snow and i was wondering if right after all of the snow is over would that be a good time to go coyote hunting? Will they be looking for food because its hard for them to find it and will they be easier to call? Thanks for any and all input!
Old 02-13-2007, 08:08 PM

Default RE: Snow and Yotes!!!???!!!???!!!

UMMMMMM anyone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 02-13-2007, 10:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

After any cold spell or blizzard is a GREAT time to get out an call. 'Yotes will be hungry and looking for an easy meal, so go get 'em!
Old 02-14-2007, 06:52 AM

Jake this is what I gathered from one of Brian Souths seminars, Is the 24hrs prior to and the 24hrs after is the prime time to go out and call.
Old 02-14-2007, 07:14 AM

correct, especially before the front.
Old 02-14-2007, 07:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

The longer deep snow stays on the ground and the longer it stays cold, the better the calling will get, also! I agree, before and after are good, but the long periods of cold and snow are best!
Old 02-14-2007, 07:46 AM
Fork Horn

Most years in Kansas I get around15 to 25 yotes. We have had some real big snows this year. Deep snow (for Kansas grew up on West Slope of Colorado)on the ground from Dec. 27th to the present day. I am just hammering the dogs. I am spending about half my normal time out and getting twice as many dogs. With Saturdays count I am pushing 48. The snow has made them come to the call and busting in groups of 3 to 4 to reach that poor hurt rabbit.

I would agree with that 24 hour period being prime. It snowed here Friday and we took 3 dogs on Thur. and took 8 on Sat..On Sat. you couldn't keep those dogs from coming to the call. Had a 9 year old kid calling them in like a pro...

Goatslayer.....

Old 02-14-2007, 07:37 PM

Sounds like fun. Thanks for the advice.
Old 02-15-2007, 03:36 PM

Up here in the mountains, its hard to get coyotes to come out in the open right after a big dump of snow. They like to stay in the trees (like the other animals) where it is easier to move around or they will be on the roads at night. A couple days after the storm (or less if its really cold) when the snow firms up enough so they don't sink in to their bellies they will come to the call like a rocket.

Having a set of snowshoes is a big help to get to your setups. Just because a 30 lb coyote doesn't sink in to fresh snow doesn't mean you won't.

Truckeedan
Old 02-15-2007, 05:14 PM

Find fresh tracks and track them if there is snow its a good way to kill them. Shotguns are better than rifles for this game though.

Quick Reply: Snow and Yotes!!!???!!!???!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.