Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

BUNNY HUNTIN QUESTION

Old 02-08-2007, 07:50 PM

Default BUNNY HUNTIN QUESTION

hows it goin guys. just wondering if any of you knew if corn fields are worth taken the dogs through for rabbits? on a nice, sunny,warmer day, im wondering if we could pop out a couple from a cornfield? basically, we've hunted out all our major hunting sports, and were desperate for spots to hunt. where do u guys recommend me and my buddies spots to go? old train tracks, etc.. thanks
Old 02-08-2007, 07:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: BUNNY HUNTIN QUESTION

look for stuff that is so tangled and thick that you couldnt possibly get through, and then walk through it.

i have seen most rabbits while working in the fields or hunting in areas that are overgrown fields with patches of very very VERY overgrown thornbushes.
Old 02-08-2007, 07:54 PM
Fork Horn

gs-we've had luck in the past on rr trackks, ditch banks, fencerows, edge of corn fields, and cut overs. just about any place you find a thicket and briers. during the summer, my garden spot is a great place to get a few! good luck-bill
Old 02-08-2007, 08:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Rabbits will not be in cornfields at that time. It is not worth your time to walk through them or even huntin them. During the day, when you will be hunting them, they are in thick cover hiding from prey.
Old 02-09-2007, 04:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

I hunt north central Ohio, and we kill a lot of rabbits along the edge of cut corn fields in the grass. Some of it doesn't even have to be high grass. We've probably killed 40 or so like that this year. The only time you'll most likely find them in the corn fields is at night...judging by the amount of tracks.

It's funny...this year we've killed most of our rabbits away from thick cover. I killed one that was backed up to an old apple tree in a mowed orchard. When he took off, I was NEARLY too startled to shoot him.

Old 02-09-2007, 01:00 PM
Typical Buck

On a warm sunny day, look for thick thick cover. Try to hunt the rabbits on the hills that face south. There always seem to be more there because of the sun.
Old 02-09-2007, 02:22 PM

a lot of times you can watch that little clearing between briars/thicket and the edge of a field or something of the sort and late in the evening they'll start stirring around that area. i've picked a couple off with a 22 pistol on the edge of my lawn like this. it's not the most productive way to hunt but it might grab you an extra one at the end of the day.
Old 02-09-2007, 03:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: knifemakerbill

gs-we've had luck in the past on rr trackks, ditch banks, fencerows, edge of corn fields, and cut overs. just about any place you find a thicket and briers. during the summer, my garden spot is a great place to get a few! good luck-bill
He hit the nail on the head!
Old 02-14-2007, 08:12 PM

Yep he sure did.