Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Small Game, Predator and Trapping
 Taster better than squirrel. I promise!! >

Taster better than squirrel. I promise!!

Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Taster better than squirrel. I promise!!

Old 02-08-2007, 09:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Taster better than squirrel. I promise!!

I never have but thought about it. I should have since I got 195 of them this year. They eat all green stuff so I think they will taste good. Same goes for woodchucks. Some day I will try Muskrat,beaver and woodchuck but that means I have to cook it myself. That aint gonna happen too soon,lol.

I have heard of people eating bobcats. I think they might be tough but it would be like chienese food.
Old 02-08-2007, 07:50 PM
Fork Horn

when i was a youngster, my 80 yr. old grandpaw came to live with us for a while. we got to sample all sorts of game during that time-squirrel, rabbit, deer, possum, coon, blackbird pie, mountain oysters, crawdads, and rattlesnake. Mom would leave the kitchen when he started his cooking! when i went to Thailand in the service (71-72), i got to try all the normal food there. i had water buffalo, snake, monkey, cat, porch-pooch (family may be starving, but a pooch would be tied up on porch with food in the bowl for it. it was a great honor to have the pooch cooked for a special guest). and if you tried the monkey ball soup- they didn't take time to roll meat into those little round balls, if you get my drift. and we had mystery meat and rice several times a week. guy standing on side of road near our workshop would sell you a plastic bag of meat and rice for a nickle. i never got up the nerve to try the rice bugs-4-5 inch long, would fly into the sides of our planes- guards would gather them up and sell them for a nickle apiece. noticed that the Thais all had long fingernail on little finger of one hand. would use it to dig out the insides of bug after they tore the head off.
after stating that- there's not much i would turn down, if i knew how it was cooked, and by whom.
Old 02-08-2007, 08:24 PM
Typical Buck

Roadkill,When I was growing up in Pennsyltucky we ate Muskrat all the time but we called it MarshRabbit. Yummy
Old 02-09-2007, 04:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Tried porqupine once(and only once). It was like eating electrical wire. I think ittasted like it too.

Ron
Old 02-09-2007, 04:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

the only thing i like better is groundhog, they are pure vegiterrians and the meat is unbelievable, never tried possums, that i know of anyway, but heck its all meat

other good choices beaver, coon (bbq'd), nutria, and smoked armidillos, leave'm in the shell, i have alsoheard polecat is good, but if its anything like javalina, the smell will get you before you even taste it[:'(]
Old 02-09-2007, 04:48 PM
Inactive

Muskrat used to be a staple on fridays at our house when i was growing up. It was great, and i still enjoy it. Beaver is great if you get a young one.

coon and other "exotic" meats were not available to us back then, but did try rattle snake - and liked it.

guess it's what you grew up with!
Old 02-10-2007, 04:29 PM

In the early 70s i worked part time for a niceoldgent in Indian Head, MD. Ate muskrat at his home many times. He called them swamp rabbits. They were very good. Gray's store in Marbury, MD used to sell them: Guess that they bought them from trappers.
Old 02-17-2007, 11:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

I grew up in WV and we ate muskrat, groundhog,racoon, 'possum and all the usual small game as well as snapping turtle. It's all good if you fix it right.
Old 02-17-2007, 12:20 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 02-17-2007, 09:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: m.t.hands
smoked armidillos, leave'm in the shell,
just a heads up, armadillos can carry Leprosy, don' think i'd be eating those bad boys!!!

Quick Reply: Taster better than squirrel. I promise!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.