Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Electronic predator calls

Old 01-28-2007, 07:23 PM
Fork Horn

Default Electronic predator calls

Any1 know of some good ones ive went a few times out with a few friends never had any luck and i dont own equiptment of my own was wondering what u all have, would like to start coyote/fox hunting since there seems to be alot of sign on our land.
Old 01-28-2007, 07:38 PM

Default RE: Electronic predator calls

Go to varmintal.com, there is a good one on there that you basically can make from stuff at Radio Shack or wal-mart for that matter. Its called an El Chepo electric caller but dont be discouraged by the name its a nice one and very good and inexpensive.
Old 01-28-2007, 07:42 PM

It all depends on what you want to spend. I'd recommend the Foxpro FX3. I love mine and I don't think I'll ever upgrade it. However, that's also gonna take $500 out of your wallet, too.
Old 01-28-2007, 08:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Fox Pro and Minaska are the top two E-callers on the market. Depending on what you want out of an Ecaller and how much ya got to spend, they can cost as little as $150 upto $600 for the top of the line! It is true in the Ecaller world that you get what you pay for. The more ya pay the more bells and whistles you get along with loudness and sound quality!
Old 01-29-2007, 03:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: jake smith09

Go to varmintal.com, there is a good one on there that you basically can make from stuff at Radio Shack or wal-mart for that matter. Its called an El Chepo electric caller but dont be discouraged by the name its a nice one and very good and inexpensive.
Putting one of those El cheapo's together. Just waiting for the mini amp to come in. Should have it some time this week. The main cost was the mp3, it has 1 gb of mem, radio and a couple other whistles. Figured it would be a multi tasker . My total cost about $115, $80 of it being the mp3. I'll post picks when it's done.
Old 01-29-2007, 07:58 PM

BlackLab, if you got a creative ZenV take it back. I took it out last week to call with and i think the cold weather broke it because it doesent work anymore!!! I dont know if thats what happened to it or not. My cat knocked it off the table when it was charging so maybe that was it but i dont know.
Old 01-30-2007, 10:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Jake, Thanks for the heads up. The MP3 is a Sansa c240. I did a trac on the mini amp I should have it the 01/31/07
Old 01-30-2007, 10:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: jake smith09

BlackLab, if you got a creative ZenV take it back. I took it out last week to call with and i think the cold weather broke it because it doesent work anymore!!! I dont know if thats what happened to it or not. My cat knocked it off the table when it was charging so maybe that was it but i dont know.
I think it is time to use your 223 and exterminate that cat!
Old 02-16-2007, 05:24 AM
Giant Nontypical

Got one of the el cheapo's all together with only one complaint. The radio shack amplifier does add some noticeable white noise. Has anyone had any better success with other amplifilers?
Old 02-17-2007, 02:28 PM

ORIGINAL: BTBowhunter

Got one of the el cheapo's all together with only one complaint. The radio shack amplifier does add some noticeable white noise. Has anyone had any better success with other amplifilers?
You can lower the white noise by increasing the volume on the Trio to the 25 setting and lowering the gain on the mini amp to get the same sound output as before. The white noise doesn't seem to carry very far in the field. At least the coyotes seem to come in anyhow. Also the coyotes have very good hearing. You might want to just lower the volume a little on the mini amp unless it is a windy day.

I have added a couple of single howle mp3 files made with the ELK Power Howler for incerting in any sequences you build.

http://www.varmintal.com/elkchatterhowl.mp3

http://www.varmintal.com/elkpowerhowl.mp3

I have also added a woodpecker distress made with a Lohman quail call mp3 file. It sounds pretty good and should be absolutely non thretening to a coyote. Here it is:

http://www.varmintal.com/mybird2.mp3

Good Hunting... from Varmint Al