Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

what choke for rabbits?

Old 01-12-2007, 08:57 AM

Default what choke for rabbits?

hey guys, whats the perfect choke for rabbit hunting with a 12 gauge

Old 01-12-2007, 09:04 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: what choke for rabbits?

I use MOD. Works well.
Old 01-12-2007, 11:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Modified
Old 01-12-2007, 12:00 PM
Boone & Crockett

Around the neck !!! Modified works well it depends on how far away you are shooting at them from though.
Old 01-13-2007, 09:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Gooseslayer...Perfect rabbit choke for a 12 gauge..??

Not enough info...Depends on what kind of cover you are hunting and how far your average shots are...

I could not imagine ever needing to use a choke tighter than modified for rabbits..Bunnies fold up easily and even a light field load of 6s in a modified choke will kill a rabbit cleanly at 40 yards.. A solid hit at a more normal range of 10-20 yards will churn your target into "bunnyburger"...

In the thick cover that I hunt, a 30 yard shot is a long one..At such close quarters, an improved cylinder, skeet, or even a straight cylinder bore will be easier to hit with and will mess up less eating meat than a tighter choke..

Personally, I prefer a .410 bore for most of rabbit hunting, since I hunt very thick cover at close range.. My "heavy gun" for rabbits is a 20 gauge side by side choked IC/MOD usually with 7/8 oz. of #6 shot...
Old 01-13-2007, 06:26 PM

I used a 12 ga. mod. choke when I was my own dog, but my faithfull hunting buddies, Chip and Layla ( hard hunting beagles) have caused me to change my tactics. My perfered and most used gun is a Remington 870 pump .410 full choke for head shots. I love cooking lead free bunnys!

Old 01-13-2007, 06:35 PM

I use my skeet choke. Rabbits aren't hard to kill. I've killed them with 7 1/2 shot at like40 yards.
Old 01-13-2007, 10:45 PM

I think skeet is the best because when they are running away skeet has a big pattern so you are more likley to hit them.
Old 01-14-2007, 05:16 AM

I shoot primarily snowshoe hares up here in Ontario and they are of course larger than cottontails. I find a 20ga. loaded with #6 and my double barrel o/u choked IC and MOD works just great. I actually find that the IC is even better as most of my shots are within 30 yards anyways.
Old 01-14-2007, 09:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Lucky 13...I've used my IC/Mod 20 gauge doublefor snowshoe hares also, and it seems nearly perfect for them..Like you I probably shoot 90% of them with the IC barrel ....

Tommy mac.. Yeah... All of my rabbit hunting is done ahead of a beagle...My partner and I don't shoot rabbits on the jump andrefuse to shoot a rabbit until it has circled at least once ahead of the dog, and often we let them go by a time or two before we shoot them..Like you, I like the .410 because it works well in that hunting situation and it does not fill the eatin' meat full of shot.. My .410 is a Spanish made side/side , a nice, light,trim little gun and I try for head shots at close range...

Quick Reply: what choke for rabbits?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.