Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

population question

Old 01-07-2007, 04:44 PM

Default population question

i have a favorite hunting spot ive only killed 4 squirells out of it but could kill some everyday if i wanted.there is a big tree is where i killed the 4 at and lets say there is abouut 15 in the tree, and in the land around it 50 acres with bout 200 squirell.i am worried if i keep hunting that tree i will 1.kill em all. 2.they will leave it. so im jw if the ones from around will move in and/or will the ones in it have quite a few babies that i can later hunt in the tree and it will not run population down, and have i already ruined this tree. some info is this tree is huge oak looks like 3 trees connected at the bottom it has no less that 10 squirell holes in it and is surround by hedgeball trees.any info or advice is appreciated.

ps. sorry my grammar looks terrible and u prolly think these are stupid ??'s

thanks,silent
Old 01-07-2007, 04:51 PM

Default RE: population question

I don't hunt the same game in the same areas all the time. I honestly don't have a firm answer if they will leave or all be killed for sure but the way I figure, why chance it?
Old 01-07-2007, 04:56 PM

thanks donnie, also if i am hurtin population bad how long should i not hunt there...

thanks,silent
Old 01-07-2007, 06:20 PM
Typical Buck

I took 20 squrrills off of one paticular property that i deer hunt on before deer season opened last year,and when deer season opened there was squrrils bouncing everywere...I would not worry about hurting the population if your seeing alot.But if ur not seeing many i would not hunt it to hard.
Old 01-07-2007, 07:45 PM

Let me put it this way, I have a nice rabbit habitat behind my house and I do hunt it and when I do I collect some food but I won't hit it more than maybe twice a month. I might not need to wait that long but I do. There's plenty of hunting ground at my disposal so I'm not pressured to spend all my time on that area of brush so why risk it?
Old 01-08-2007, 06:33 PM

thanks i see what u mean my family own alot of land too somewhere in 2000 acre range (farm) but alot of good hunting to but just got into squirel hutning so idkthe "hot spots" .Thanks tho i get what u mean.

thanks, silent
Old 01-08-2007, 06:53 PM

They'll mostly be in the hardwoods. When the leaves fall it's easy to spot their hangouts, just luck for the big clumps of leaves/sticks in the trees and that's their nests. Find a bunch that are close together and you should have a good spot.

Hope that helps
Old 01-08-2007, 07:29 PM

kill em all, squirrels are way to thick and fun to hunt. if you do kill what you think is all of them. come back in a month and be prepared to see alot more squirrels. if there are alot of squirrels at a "hot spot" they are there for a reason. be assured that the next squirrels that move through the area will stop at this spot for the cover, food, water, or combination of all three. i know of a sycamore tree that has to be 100 years old. one afternoon i set there deer hunting and watched 16 diferent squirrels climb into the same hole for nesting that night. i cant wait to go bust em up one afternoon.
Old 01-08-2007, 08:19 PM

ORIGINAL: TEmbry15

one afternoon i set there deer hunting and watched 16 diferent squirrels climb into the same hole for nesting that night. i cant wait to go bust em up one afternoon.
Got any buddies in the service that could flow you a hand grenade?
Old 01-09-2007, 02:46 PM

ya it does help thanks guys.

thanks agaun.silent

Quick Reply: population question

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.