Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Squeeze...... SMACK

Old 01-02-2007, 07:33 PM
Fork Horn

Default Squeeze...... SMACK

I just returned from a 6 day road trip hunting coyotes, had a great time but I'm exhausted! I crashed for 14 hours as soon as I got home... sleep deprived to say the least.
Anyways, we called up several coyotes but one in particular still has me replaying the scene in my mind.

I was sitting in a fencerow with a 5 acre field to my back and a 50 acre hayfield in front of me. I had another gunner carrying a shotgun in the small field, he was sitting next to the caller approximately 150 yards behind me. I started into the stand with howls then went to distress... then some puppy whines. After 24 minutes of calling I scanned the field slowly with my eyes and saw a coyote plopped down on his butt 125 yards out!
Sitting there like a yard ornament, he surveyed the landscape for trouble but couldn't see me in the thin fencerow. My gun was nearly right on him, I adjusted the barrel about 3" and found him in the Leupold.
As I touched the tender Accu-Trigger I felt the recoil of the gun followed by a loud CRACKKKKKKK!!!!! This wasn't the gun going off- this was COLLATERAL DAMAGE! As I pulled my eye from the scope I realized there was a small sapling at the end of my barrel, it had been jammed up against the muzzle when I touched off the round!!! I guess the 14 power objective on my scope allowed me to look THROUGH the sapling and see the coyote sitting there calmly.... it never even crossed my mind to look over top the gun for brush in the way!
Obviously the coyote never felt any impact from the bullet, I was able to call him back up about 5-6 minutes later but wasn't comfortable with the shot he offered me. I was still somewhat flustered- with these high powered rifles it's pretty dangerous to have something blocking the muzzle---- everyone remember be careful out there! I know I'm looking harder now, after missing the forest for the trees!
Old 01-02-2007, 07:42 PM

Default RE: Squeeze...... SMACK

Cool story/warning, sounds like you had a great time, I shot one yesterday at atleast 150 yrds. up a pretty steep hill, it could have been a double but my bi-pod wasn't tall enough for the angle of the shot. I'll post the pic and a little more detailed story later.
Old 01-02-2007, 08:35 PM

wow some story..sorry to here u didnt get him

do people hunter coyotes for the furr and do they eat any of it?
never been or hurd

southern_hunter
Old 01-02-2007, 08:49 PM

A lot of guys do it for sport but some sell the pelts.

I don't know of anybody eating the meat and personally I wouldn't. It just seems icky haha.
Old 01-02-2007, 09:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

How many did you guys get overall?
Old 01-02-2007, 10:36 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: southern_hunter194

do people hunter coyotes for the furr and do they eat any of it?
never been or hurd

southern_hunter
I guess I have seen questions like this on here before, and I was wondering why nobody ever said something like, "Have you eaten Chinese food lately?" LOL JK
Old 01-03-2007, 02:55 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: buckhunter14

How many did you guys get overall?

We called up 7, killed one and missed the one described above. I've been in a droubt lately... we're calling them in but they are circling at longer ranges than normal. This makes it hard to kill them, I'm at 66 callups and 14 kills since October 15th. A long way from my goal of 100 kills... but January and February are very productive so I have my fingers crossed!