Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

best coyote rifle

Old 12-18-2006, 07:19 AM

Default RE: best coyote rifle

First of all, I'd REALLY like to know where we can all get super long range, flat shooting, super accurate, high energy rifles for low cost.

Like a couple of the guys said, you don't NEED to shoot that far at yotes anyway.

Find something in the realm of the .22 centerfires, a good scope, and learn to shoot that thing better than anyone in colorado.

My rig?? NEF handi rifle, .223, 3-9X40 scope.to me a coyote rifle is a small, light,mobile, coyote killing machine.if you want one of those big, heavy barreled, glossy contraptions,...stay on the range, shooting paper.
Old 12-18-2006, 04:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well that might be your ideal of a coyote but I will take my heavy range rifle along with me. I probable kill 50 yotes a year how many do you ?? And aleast 30 ground hogs!! I also have a .243 nef bull barrel it isnt like my swift by along shot.
Old 12-18-2006, 08:30 PM
Typical Buck

AR-15 with lightweight barrel, telescopic stock, flat upper
Old 12-20-2006, 07:27 PM

243 wssm man killed ever thain i ever needed to kill with one shot
Old 12-20-2006, 07:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Like a couple of the guys said, you don't NEED to shoot that far at yotes anyway.
If you do much calling in the wide open country in the west, there will be times and situations that long shots are presented, NO MATTER HOW GOOD OF A CALLER YOU ARE!!
For instance, you're calling a set, you can see far enough to watch coyotes come for over a half mile, mulitple coyotes are coming, you wait for the first/closest to arrive at less than 100 yards, you take the shot, DYT! However, the other coyotes that hadn't gotten to you yet now pull up and will not continue into the set. They could be 200, 300, 400 yards and beyond. If ya got the rifle capable of reaching out there and the shooting ability to do it, why not!
And there are plenty of other times that because of how the country is layed out, we often will call with the wind at our backs realizing that when one responds, we will NEED to take a longer shot before they smell us. I have witnessed coyotes smelling us from 250 yards and beyond. It's not a problem IF you have the rifle cpapble of reaching out further!
I realize most of you are pros. and can ALWAYS get them in shotgun range, BUT some of us aren't that good!! 20 years of callin' and I still take a long shot on occasion[&:]
Old 12-20-2006, 07:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Some of us do all of our calling in country where we can often see them coming from over 1/2 mile away. You do enough calling in this country, youwill NEED to be able to reach out on occasion, if you want to take home the fur! I realize, some of you guys call in country that you can't see far enough to ever take a long shot, and besides, you're all pros. and can get them into shotgun range anyways!!
Here's a prime example of the open country that I am lucky enough to call. Not even a tree to be seen!

What they heck, I used to be able to post pics., guess I've forgottne how[]
Old 12-20-2006, 07:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't think anyone is claiming to be a pro. The author wants something that is super accurate at super long ranges with super energy. I don't think there is anything that fits that bill that is fur friendly.

I understand where you are coming from on the being able to see them coming for a 1/2 mile, thats what the majority of my locations allow. I've had a few hold up at 200-300-400 yards, and my Tikka 243 or my AR 15 always reaches 'em.
Old 12-21-2006, 12:20 AM
RJH

I think the question is a little vauge but I will tell you what I use. I have a savage model 12bvss in .22-250. My other gun is a AR15 that was built by dtech it is in .223. Savage rifles are very accurate for the money and the accutrigger is nice also. If I were you I would think .22-250, .243, .25wssm. I guess it depends on how far you really want to shoot and if your saving fur. Also how much money ya got has alot to do with it. If you could perhaps give distance that you are thinking about shooting and your price range.
Old 12-21-2006, 07:21 AM

I was mainly speaking of my expirience from around here. Heck, in alot of places in IL, you take a 400 yd. shot, you've crosses 3 properties.Probably should have been more specific.

In post #2 of this thread, the author claims money to be an issue in purchasing a rifle. Now a few of the replies come back with words like Mcmillian, custom ammunition, Rock River, Nikon Monarch Target Scope, Tikka Stainless,etc. I know that around here none of these things are very cost friendly; probably just another matter of geographics I'm sure, as these things are probably sold off the shelf atquiki-marts all over the West.

He also said on another thread that he's moving to PA,so I doubt he'll be taking many 1/4 mile shots.

...and I haven't killed a TON of coyotes with a shotgun, if I want a challenge, I kill them with a .357.
Old 12-21-2006, 09:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

When ya get bored with shooting them with your handgun, then try shooting a few with a bow, it'll take a while before ya get bored do that

We are luckyout here in the west. I've got several propertys that have thousands of acres, and rearely do ya find a rancher that won't let a guy do some calling. Heck, every year we will spot at least a few coyotes before even calling. It's a lot of fun to set up on one when you can already see him 1/2 mile away and get to watch his every reaction to the sounds we make!

Of course we still have a blizzard going on here. Got around 24" on the flat and the winds over 35 mph, so we have 6' drifts. If I can get out this weekend at all, they are going to be some very hungry coyotes to be called!

Quick Reply: best coyote rifle

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.