Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

El Cheapo Electronic Caller

Old 12-11-2006, 08:19 PM

Default El Cheapo Electronic Caller

I was curious if anyone has used the el cheapo electronic caller and if so what were yalls opinions on it also can it work with an ipod. thansk for any input. and here is a link to what i am talking about http://www.varmintal.com/ahunt.htm#El-Cheapo
Old 12-12-2006, 03:37 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: El Cheapo Electronic Caller

that sounds like a good idea...anyone tried it yet
Old 01-15-2007, 10:49 AM

EL-CHEAPO WORKS.... I took the El-Cheapo out for a test run. The roads are finally open and not mud slides anymore so I could get to my hunting area. I made two stands with no success. On the second stand, a ground squirrel was standing up chirping at me. He was about 100 yards out near the El-Cheapo. After I concluded that there were going to be no coyote takers, it was time to check the zero on my rifle. The scolding ground squirrel confirmed the zero on the old Sako Forester was right on out of a cold clean barrel. Off to the third stand. Less than 5 minutes into the third stand here comes a coyote. I saw him at about 400 yards way down the hill coming through the tall grass. He quickly went behind a rise heading my way and I was able to setup in the direction where I thought he would next appear. I was using the 16 minute sequence and it was only in the second sound (lmuj1.mp3) when I first saw the coyote.

ON A BEE LINE.... After the one minute of silence between the sounds, the third sound (jrpc1.mp3) starts up and here comes the coyote. He was on a Bee-line heading straight to the call and wasn't looking in my direction at all. At 22 steps from the El-Cheapo, he stopped, broadside, for the fatal 2 seconds at about 80 yards. The 95 gr 243 Nosler Ballistic Tip caught him right behind the front shoulder. I saw him roll once in the tall grass. I let the calling continue for the full 16 minutes hoping for a double, but no other coyote showed. It was interesting to watch a doe and her fawn at about 300 yards. They were my forward spotters and really picked up their ears for each new sound. At one point, they were both looking to the side and I thought there might be another coyote incoming but no show. About 10 minutes into the calling both the doe and fawn stiff stepped out of sight. The coyote was crawling with ticks. It looks like it is going to be a bad tick year. I used Velcro to mount the amp and MP3 player onto the power horn. It works OK.

The El-Cheapo works.
Good Hunting... from Varmint Al
Old 01-15-2007, 12:35 PM

Sweet Ill have to try it. Thanks alot Al.
Old 01-17-2007, 03:07 PM

I built it about 1 month ago... took me about 15 minutes to make and using the premade sequences Al had on his site I had coyotes going nuts around me.
Old 01-21-2007, 04:41 PM

ORIGINAL: Varmint Al

EL-CHEAPO WORKS.... I took the El-Cheapo out for a test run. The roads are finally open and not mud slides anymore so I could get to my hunting area. I made two stands with no success. On the second stand, a ground squirrel was standing up chirping at me. He was about 100 yards out near the El-Cheapo. After I concluded that there were going to be no coyote takers, it was time to check the zero on my rifle. The scolding ground squirrel confirmed the zero on the old Sako Forester was right on out of a cold clean barrel. Off to the third stand. Less than 5 minutes into the third stand here comes a coyote. I saw him at about 400 yards way down the hill coming through the tall grass. He quickly went behind a rise heading my way and I was able to setup in the direction where I thought he would next appear. I was using the 16 minute sequence and it was only in the second sound (lmuj1.mp3) when I first saw the coyote.

ON A BEE LINE.... After the one minute of silence between the sounds, the third sound (jrpc1.mp3) starts up and here comes the coyote. He was on a Bee-line heading straight to the call and wasn't looking in my direction at all. At 22 steps from the El-Cheapo, he stopped, broadside, for the fatal 2 seconds at about 80 yards. The 95 gr 243 Nosler Ballistic Tip caught him right behind the front shoulder. I saw him roll once in the tall grass. I let the calling continue for the full 16 minutes hoping for a double, but no other coyote showed. It was interesting to watch a doe and her fawn at about 300 yards. They were my forward spotters and really picked up their ears for each new sound. At one point, they were both looking to the side and I thought there might be another coyote incoming but no show. About 10 minutes into the calling both the doe and fawn stiff stepped out of sight. The coyote was crawling with ticks. It looks like it is going to be a bad tick year. I used Velcro to mount the amp and MP3 player onto the power horn. It works OK.

The El-Cheapo works.
Hey Varmint Al, I was looking on you website earlier today and looking at your home madebi-pod design, and I saw the tripod design and I'm thinking of building a trip-pod with a turret that willmove a full 360 degrees around, what do you think, and do you have any ideas on it?
Old 01-23-2007, 11:26 AM

Hey Varmint Al, I was looking on you website earlier today and looking at your home madebi-pod design, and I saw the tripod design and I'm thinking of building a trip-pod with a turret that willmove a full 360 degrees around, what do you think, and do you have any ideas on it?
Give it a try and let us know how the turret works. I haven't personally built the Tripod version. I get very good accuracy with the old standard Bi-Fur-Pod. After years of use, I can move it around and adjust the height without hardly thinking about it.

Old 01-24-2007, 02:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well I have all the parts but the mini amp, I'm into it for $112 so far. The MP3 was $80 of it though, 1GB of mem plus the radio, It's a multi tasker . Having some what of a time finding the mini amp though. Went to4 stores two Radio shacks and two best buys no amp. Found one on ebay for $10 but with the shipping it's $20. Any cheaper places or Ideas? thanks
Old 01-24-2007, 07:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Here's a update got the mini amp online @ radio shack 12.99 +s/h + sales taxe = 19.99.

Now it's the waiting game [:'(]
Old 01-26-2007, 03:51 PM
Typical Buck

GOOD LUCK TO YOU BLACKLAB!

AND VARMINT AL YOUR SITE IS AWESOME!!!!

Quick Reply: El Cheapo Electronic Caller

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.