Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

electronic calls

Old 11-14-2002, 02:58 PM
Fork Horn

Default electronic calls

I am going to try coyote hunting since they seem to be everywhere when I'm deer hunting. What are the best electronic calls out there. Do they work better than regular calls. Which tapes are good. Thanks

Old 11-14-2002, 03:49 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 11-14-2002, 05:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: electronic calls

As with most things in life, the more it costs the better quality you get, usually, as goes with electronic calls! Are they better than hand calls, well, depends on who you talk to. With hand calls, you can vary the tone, which will give you a unique sound from the next guy, where as when you turn on the e caller, the sound it makes is the sound you get, until you change tapes. When you see the critter coming to the call, with hand calls you can call when needed, change the pitch or volume easily, harder to do with the e-calls. With e-calls, you can put the speaker out away from your position, allowing you to get away with a little, and I stress the "LITTLE" movement when you may need to move to get in postion for the shot. When using hand calls, if the critter has visual contact with you while you are calling, it will be watching you very closely, so getting away with movement can be tricky. Hand calls weigh next to nothing, if you do alot of walking, the e-calls get heavy after awhile in comparison. Hand calls won't run out of battery power, ever! Some hand calls, mostly the closed reed calls, can and will freeze up in really cold weather.E-calls can also be used to call other game such as crows, snow geese, etc., I get more satisfaction out of using hand calls to call the critters in, it's you the hunter doing the calling, and not a recording. As stated by Edward, cottontail distress is very popular, jack rabbit distress works well too, baby coyote or fox distress, and woodpecker works well sometimes too. Good Luck! They can be lots of fun to call in, but can be aggrevating sometimes too!!
Old 11-14-2002, 07:37 PM
Typical Buck

i always carry both types of calls with me,but i prefer hand calls for all the reasons howler talked about.theres always more satifaction in working in a crafty critter like a coyote with a hand call over an e-caller.i use the e-caller for locating packs in different areas with a group howl tape(very effective)well before daylight.i then go back when its light to the areas where i got a response and try to work them in.but i do use the e-caller while hunting sometimes.i find that tapes with a coyote killing something,turkey-rabbit-fox etc to be effective at times.also coyote in distress and kitten in distress work to.theres one thing all newcomers must realize,no call works every time.this is why its important to have a varity of different calls with you,this is also a big advantage to open reed and or variable pitch calls.you can make many different sounds with the one call.some days they run you over with a certain call other days they seem to ignore that same call.play around untill you find calls you like and that seem to work,this builds confidence and confidence means sucssess.
Old 11-15-2002, 11:19 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 11-15-2002, 06:30 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks for the help. Are there any good tapes that I could learn to call from. Are the tapes just the same sound over and over again. Thanks again

Old 11-16-2002, 03:11 AM
Typical Buck

rather then trying to learn from a tape thats used for hunting,pick up an instructional tape.theres a ton of them out there,ej sceery,johnny stewart,denise kirk,primos and so on,they all produce how to hunt and call predators tapes.the books are good also becouse they show you photos of good stand location with the wind in your favor and other important things.most of the mail order houses carry them but the biggest selection would be at www.huntsmart.com
Old 11-21-2002, 08:21 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 11-21-2002, 01:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

I favor calls by Verminator, new on the market but they work great for me, also like TallyHo, Critter Gitter,and I do have my original closed reed calls made by Lohman.
Old 11-21-2002, 02:46 PM
Typical Buck

i have an old(problably 25 years old) penn woods variable pitch raspy rabbit call that almost never fails me.also have many others by ej sceery,quaker boy,olt,lohmann,and a few others that i can't think of right now.none of them work all the time but usauly can find one that sparks an interest.one of these years when i get my cheap butt around to it i,m going to pick up the verminator,tallyho and critter gitter,i have heard nothing but good things about these calls.

Quick Reply: electronic calls

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.