Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

cleaning a tree rat

Old 09-11-2006, 08:13 PM
Typical Buck

Default cleaning a tree rat

i dont know if any of you have a hard time cleaning them tree rats after you shoot them but i found a awsomevideo that tells you how to clean one in about 30 seconds. the website is http://www.huntingfootage.com/showphoto.php?photo=377&cat=523. i have never seen it done this way. i tried it out last weekend and it was amazing how fast i went through cleaning 12 of them rascals.
i hope this helps some of you
Old 09-12-2006, 02:58 PM

Default RE: cleaning a tree rat

That's the same way i learned to clean em - there's a good way to skin small animals for pelts too - use a needle tip on an air compresser like what you use to inflate a basket ball - stick the tip in between the skin and muscle near the back leg and turn on the compresser - it helps seperate the pelt from the carcass - it works real slick - give it a try some time
Old 09-12-2006, 04:38 PM

yea my grand dad tought me how to do it i have tryed other ways but that right there is the easyst
Old 09-12-2006, 10:20 PM

I couldn't get the video going. I usually make a cut right under the tail to begin with and rip the pelt off towards the head. It's really quick. Is that how the video does it?
Old 09-13-2006, 07:46 PM
Fork Horn

I don't skin the squirrels I kill. First I make a small cut to the belly and take out all intestines. Then after removing the inside stuff, I stick a stick from the mouth all the way to where I cut the belly or legs. Cut the tail and I burn all the furs in a fire then scape off all the burnt furs, you do this until the squirrel is nice and smooth with no furs left. After this I'll cut the belly fully from the neck down to the arse and clean it up what ever is still left inside. then I use a knife and scrape offthe restof the burnt furs with my knife, washing it while scraping with knife.If you do this to your squirrel, when you finish cooking it you will get a smoked tastethat you cannot find any whereelse.

Skinning is good too but I like the smoke favor of the squirrel I cook. I learn this from my grandfather and father when I was younger and I never bother skinning the squirrels I killed. It does take a little longer than skinning but it's all worth it in the end.
Old 09-17-2006, 07:57 PM
Spike

Duckdog, thanks for posting that link. That sure is easier than what I've been doing and will be trying that in the future.

Old 09-17-2006, 08:16 PM
Typical Buck

im glad it helped . it helpeed me tons also.
Old 09-22-2006, 06:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

what about thehind legs??did I only get part of the download??