Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Trapping

Old 07-15-2006, 10:35 AM
Fork Horn

Default Trapping

How many of you trap?Where do you trap?Do you wait till the furs are prime or do you kill for fun,like coyotes etc.
How many traps do you tend and how often?
What types of fur do you trap?
I trap and have been since I was 8 years old,so I guess about 29 years.I like trapping the creeks and rivers for mink,otter,muskrat, fisher,coon and beaver then the wilderness areas for bobcat,coyote,fox,marten and wolverine.
I wait till the furs are prime unless a rancher needs a coyote killed or some other critter.
I usually run around 12 dozen traps and numerous snares.
I log full time and tend my traps after work,usually in the dark.On the weekends I do a lot of remakes and sets in new areas and some predator calling too.
I love to trap and learn a lot ,just another excuse to be out in the woods I guess.
Elkshed
Old 07-24-2006, 07:20 PM

Default RE: Trapping

My dad and i trap also we trap creeks and ponds too. We use a lot more traps then u tho. We trap coon, muskrats, mink, yote, fox, and possum.Were in Ohio so no beaver or otter.

CYA
Old 07-25-2006, 11:10 AM
Boone & Crockett

Back in the 80s I ran a trapline of about 10-20 traps, mostly water sets for coons. I did play around a bit with trapping beaver, fox, and coyotes. I also did a little trapping in Louisiana, mostly coon, mink, and bobcats. I would like to get back into it, but the price of fur usually isn't where i want it to be since traps are so expensive. I now live on the Great Miami river in Ohio and was going to start trapping two winters ago when the price of fur was up a bit. But then a mid-winter flood hit and the water stayed too high for the rest of the season. Maybe this year....
Old 07-27-2006, 02:34 PM
Typical Buck

I'm in western Wyoming and have been hobby trapping for 3 years. I usually put a few sets out for fox in mid October which at our altitude make for good fur. This yearI may try to get serious about cats and martin in the timber. I do the occassional ADC job in the summer. Mostly skunks.
Old 07-30-2006, 11:34 PM

been trapping with my uncle since 11. run about 50 traps. mostly coon and muskrat but set some for fox and yote too. here in NW Iowa fox are kinda hard to find most of the time and yotes arent worth too much tho we got one last year that must have bread with a yellow dog (lab or retriever) because it had yellow patches and was more lab shaped then coyote shaped. trap creeks and farm places mostly abandoned. we wait alot on the fur to get better but do harvest some early in the season. we have pretty good luck with our beaver lines. the county we trap had a 40$ bounty on the tail alone so we sold the tail to the county and shipped the fur to NAFA. thats where we send all or our furs to. check traps in the morning and evening sometimes.
Old 07-31-2006, 04:16 PM

I've been trapping on and off since I was three( I started out tagging along) and now trap beavers, coon, possum, muskrat, and mink. I don't trap as much as I would like to but hopefully this year I will have the time to trap a lot.
Old 08-01-2006, 08:43 AM
Banned

Grew up trapping and running a line before school each day. Got laid off 25 years ago from a job and ran a 100 mile line each day. Now I am swamped and don't have much time for it but I still run a few sets every couple of years. HCH
Old 08-01-2006, 10:01 AM

I want to trap so bad, btu Im not very familiar with it. I do alot of hunting and fishing but havent trapped yet. I would also appreciate any tips or fact or techniques, everything from you guys about trapping. I really wanna get into it

-Travis-