Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

.177 cal Pellets???

Old 06-20-2006, 09:29 PM

Default .177 cal Pellets???

I was wondering, whats the best hunting pellet on the market for a .177 cal pellet rifle. I am probably going to be shooting blackbirds, starlings, squirrels (when seasons open), and woodchucks. I own a Mendoza RM-2003 by the way. (1100 fps). Thanks for helping me out
Old 06-21-2006, 03:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: .177 cal Pellets???

with air rifles the velocity will vary between different pellets, your particular gun is advertised at 1100 fps that means the gun was tested with a lead pellet that was probably around 7 to 7.5 grains most of your hunting pellets will weigh 8 to 8.5 grains which will decrease your velocity quite a bit probably down to around 950 fps. from what I noticed heavier hunting pellets have better performance for shorter ranges like 15 yards or less at further ranges like 20 yards or further the heavier pellets dont seem to be as accurate mainly because they are lacking the velocity and just dont stay stabilized aswell as lighter pellets.

if you want the most from your air rifle I highly recommend using Gamo raptor ballistic alloy pellets these pellets are alot lighter than lead pellets at 5.1 grains, but they hit higher velocity and stay stabilized for a long way. I use a benjamin sheridan which is advertised at 800 fps but with the raptors my gun should be moving pellets closer to 1000 fps and in your gun they should push 1300 fps that would give you some serious long range accuracy.

just to give you an idea of just howmuch more accurate these pellets are at long ranges from my benjamin, I have the gun zeroed in for 40 yards I can consistantly knock empty shotshell hulls off my fence posts at 40 to 50 yards. And a few weeks ago I blasted a pack rat at about 50 yards. these pellets are freakin awesome.
Old 06-22-2006, 09:05 PM
Banned

I use Beeman Crow-Magnum .177 pellets in my RWS Dianna. They shoot awesome. Very accurate in my gun and will drop a squirrel stone dead at 40 yds.
HCH[/align]
Old 06-25-2006, 09:17 PM
Typical Buck

I use the Gamo "Hunter" .177 cal pellets - theycome in the green tin. With the Gamo 220 Hunter rifle, I can shoot 1 inch groups at 35 yards. I've taken rabbits and squirells with them - all down within 10 yards of the shot. I've also killed a huge racoon with them, but it traveled 500 yards and expired in a creek. Did find him until the next morning.
Old 06-27-2006, 11:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

I too use beaman hunters too for small game, although I believe most pointed tip pellets seem pretty equal. I dont want to highjack the post but the last entry got me thinking, have any of you used a .17 air rifle to dispatch furbearers in traps? Up to coyote's size? I am thinking about using one (less expense, less noise, less blood) as opposed to a .22 short. I know in theory a fast .17 will bust through a coon or coyote skull but has anyone actually used it for this? I was wondering about range, angle of the target as well as the previously stated what pellet type would be nessesary. Thanks for any input.
Old 06-28-2006, 05:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Im sure it would work fine for coons and maybe coyotes too if ya shot the yote through the eye. I killed a coon a few years ago with my bejamin sheridan it was about a 20 yard shot hit it square between the eyes with a copperhead pointed pellet and dropped it on the spot, before I retrieved it I put another pellet from about 5 feet through its eye for good measure.
Old 06-30-2006, 01:28 PM

well it really depends i guess
i use a crosman 760 at 625fps at 10 pumps and i always pump it 15 times. pellet shape and weight make a big difference. for example, my pointed copperhead pellets go straight through a crow at 20 yards andit fliesanother 40 yards til dropping, but my hollow points nailbirdsand canput a 1-inch hole in a morning dove on impact at about the same distance anddrop it right there. the birds i would use wadcutters, hollowpoints, and domed pellets. the gamo raptors sound good and copperhead or crosman hollowpoints and wadcutters always work fantastic too. for squirrels i would have wadcutters, domed, or pointed pellets. woodchucks i would use domed or pointed and you might want to put a cheap $10 daisy scope on it
Old 07-05-2006, 03:48 PM

best setup, winchester-daisy model 1000x or whatever anda daisy 4x25 scope using beeman crow-magnum or gamo hunter, or magnum.
Old 07-25-2006, 06:04 AM

HAS ANYBODY BUT ME EVER NOTICED THAT U CAN KILL SQUIRELLS MOURNING DOVES AND OTHER BIGGER THINGS WITH A BB BECAUSE I THOUGHT USING A PELLET WAS BETER BUT THEY STAY ALIVE I USE LITTLE FREKIN BB'S AND THEY DIE INSTANTLY LIKE THE RABBITS I SHOOT I SHOTT THEM WITH BB'S THATS WAT IVE NOTICED.
Old 07-25-2006, 07:03 AM
Dominant Buck

I have a Daisy 1000 spring piston , with hollow point pellets it groups 1"@25 yards and will punch straight through a steel carb cleaner spray can . It will also drive a flat match grade pellet through one at the same range , they come out the other side about 3/64" thick . Back when I had a Daisy 880 pump it would group 1"@25 yards and drive a flat match grade pellet right through a rabbit's head .

Quick Reply: .177 cal Pellets???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.