Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Coydogs

Old 06-14-2006, 01:28 PM

Default Coydogs

Im looking up coydogs and if you have any info or pics of them i would like to see them. Thats some pretty scary stuff though, there not afraid of humans.
Old 06-14-2006, 01:38 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Coydogs

Is there really such a thing? I've seen lot's of coyotes, but never a coyote/beagle cross.
Old 06-14-2006, 01:46 PM

not so much of a beagle....more of a bigger dog gone wild and breed with coyotes. When i was visiting a friend in NH, i heard yipping of something and my friend said it was coydog.
Old 06-14-2006, 01:47 PM
Boone & Crockett

Well, I never seen a coyote/doberman cross either.
Old 06-14-2006, 02:26 PM
Fork Horn

Up by my grandparents place a few years ago they had several dogs go wild and form a pack. They had to be killed b/c they caused a lot of damage to livestock.

I've heard of 'coydogs', In the movie "Young Guns2" they are half coyote, half dog and if you feed them they'llkeep coming back.
Old 06-14-2006, 04:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Coydogs, or dogotes, are a hybrid offspring of a coyote(Canis lantrans) and a dog (Canis lupus familiaris). The coydog is the result of any domesticated female dog with a male coyote and the dogote is the result of the breeding of a male domestic dog with a female coyote.
There is really no way of looking at a coydog, or dogote, and being able to 100% identifying it as a coydog/dogote. DNA analysis is the only way to prove bloodline of the animal. Coyotes come in many different sizes, shapes, and color phases.
It seems that it is more common for a male coyote to breed with a female domestic dog. Either way, it is rare!!
Old 06-15-2006, 12:27 PM
Fork Horn

Agree, it's rare. From what I've seen and heard it's more likely that the coyote will eat your dog than mate with it.

A coyote got to a collie mix of my friend's little brother. They were cute pups. Looked like a normal shepard mix but the ears were abnormally big compared to the head. As it grew it didn't seem to have any temperment problems, but like wolfs and hybrids, they have a tendency to roam and be more reserved.

I personally would like to see a Blue Heeler (Aus Cattle dog) Coyote mix. I think that would be a pretty durable dog. Not sure what it would be good for though.

Spud
Old 06-15-2006, 09:57 PM

ORIGINAL: spuddog

Agree, it's rare. From what I've seen and heard it's more likely that the coyote will eat your dog than mate with it.

A coyote got to a collie mix of my friend's little brother. They were cute pups. Looked like a normal shepard mix but the ears were abnormally big compared to the head. As it grew it didn't seem to have any temperment problems, but like wolfs and hybrids, they have a tendency to roam and be more reserved.

I personally would like to see a Blue Heeler (Aus Cattle dog) Coyote mix. I think that would be a pretty durable dog. Not sure what it would be good for though.

Spud
ditto. I took a coydog dog out last year. It was really thin, mangy, and full of ticks. It appeared it was a cross between a german shephard and a yote. And in my parts, there have been the tales of yotes not being afraid of humans, not just coydogs. Always be alert out there!
Old 06-15-2006, 10:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

One of my cousins had a big german shephard a few years back that would run with coyotes during breeding season and it musta got a few bred in that time. There is still one of the offspring in the area, its an elusive bugger and its all of 75-85lbs. Its also a really dark colored 'yote. I'm hoping to bust him when he is prime an get a mount done of some sort.